• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Croft of Middlesex, St Pancras 1796 - Ancestry?

Hello

I am trying to trace the geneaology of one of my ancestors, John Croft.

John Croft was born in 1796 and resided in St Pancras, Middlesex in 1841. He was a shoemaker.

I am not sure if he was born in Middlesex or relocated there, my family just knows that he resided in St Pancras in 1841.

We are trying to find out who his parents were. We have found a will online of a Sir John Croft of St Pancras dated 1797. I do not have access to the will as it requires registration and payment with the website, but my family is curious to know whether Sir John Croft is the father of John Croft the shoemaker.

Either way, we are really struggling to find out who the parents of this ancestor were.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

romany rose

Valued Member
Hello
I have found the birth of John Croft in 1796,but according to Ancestry he was born at Market Rasen in Lincolnshire -baptised Market Rasen ,Lincolnshire 1796
there is also a tree on the same site that has John`s father has Cornelious Croft
If you follow the above John through the same site
1841-a shoemaker @Shawmore Yrd,Stanmore St,St Pancras,Marylebone in county of Middlesex-Ref HO107,folio 15 pg 25-with wife Mary
1851-a shoemaker @2 Seymour Ct ,St Pancras,birth town Market Rasen Lincolnshire
Ref HO107 ,piece 1496
the tree on Ancsetry has John`s death occurring in London 1853

Romany Rose x

LiamK

Thank you so much, this information is invaluable. How far back does the tree go? Does it list the birth date and place of Cornelious Croft. If you can send me a direct link to the tree ut would be great.

davelambert271

Loyal Member
the record in 1841 gives John as age 45 born in county, living in St Pancras. His wife is down as Mary aged 35 born in county.

The 1851 census gives John aged 55 born Market Rasen living St Pancras. His wife is down as Ellen aged 55 born Dublin

If it is the same John, (he is a shoemaker on both records, and his age tallies) he is recorded incorrectly in 1841 as being born in the county of London ie St Pancras. I think this is possibly just a recording error. But he has had a change of wife. There are not any children on either record

to try and confirm if this is the right John, can you give the name/s of his children
dave

Last edited:

LiamK

If he is the correct John he should have a son named James Alfred Croft born 1818 in Marylebone, Middlesex. James Alfred Croft married Jane Wilson in 1840 and had a son named William Wilson Croft born in 1842, Brentwood, Essex.

Additionally, if this is the right John Croft am I correct in saying that his father is Cornelius Croft born in 1773, Panton, Lincolnshire. This Cornelius seems like the closest match based on the information given by Romany Rose.

Last edited:

davelambert271

Loyal Member
parents, grand parents, great grandparents

John Croft

Cornelius Croft 1773 - 1833 Panton Lincs, Boot & Shoe maker
Ann Brumby 1773
married 1793

John Croft 1731 Hemswell, Lincs
Mary Strawson 1735
married 1759

Robert Croft 1700
Sarah 1705

If you don't have Ancestry, send me your email address by Private Message and I'll pass it on to a couple of the tree owners and ask them to contact you

I have not found any link between John and James Alfred yet

dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Hi Liam,
Just looking at the London England Marriage & Banns on Ancestry for James Alfred Croft's marriage to Jane Wilson.
May 19th 1840 Marriage solemnized at St Mary's Church in the parish of St Marylebone Middlesex.

James Croft of Full age, Batchelor a Farmer at 27 Upper Mortague Street - Father John Croft also a farmer.
Jane Wilson of Full age a Spinster also at same address, her father James Wilson deceased a Plasterer.
Witnesses Henry Montague and Ann Trew?

regards
Val

LiamK

My great aunt made a connection between James Alfred Croft and John Croft the shoemaker from St. Pancras. She says that she has the documentation to prove the linkage, which her granddaughter will send to me through email. I'll post the details here once I've seen the records.