• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

John Evans of Blaina

John was born c1871 in Aberystruth and was the son of Thomas and Dinah (nee Davies) Evans.

The 1881 census shows him living with his family in Arch Houses, Aberystruth.
1891 census the family had moved to 27 Cwm Celyn Road, Aberystruth.
1901 census he was living at 16 River Row, Blaina with his family.

On 1 Sep 1902 he married Edith Ellen Chave in Torquay. The couple had two sons - Thomas (26 Nov 1903) and Frederick (23 Jun 1906).

Edith died in August 1906 and I have been told that the two boys were bought up by their aunt - Elizabeth Evans.

Yet on the 1911 census there is a John Evans, married under a year, to Mary Ann - with sons (Thomas and Fred) aged 7 and 4.

I did a search and found a John Evans had married a Mary Ann Bowden, so I sent off for the marriage certificate. This is where the confusion is setting in.

It states that John is a coal miner, which is correct and also he is the right age, and that he is a widower. However, it says that he is the son of William Evans. Also he has not signed the certificate, it just shows a cross 'for his mark', yet a year later (allegedly) he was filling out the census form. I realise that John Evans is a popular name in Wales. Also on the 1911 census it states that Mary Ann is from Pencader, Carms, but if I backtrack on Mary Ann she seems to have come from Abergavenny.

Has anyone got this John Evans in their tree?

Thanks