• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Fletcher clockmaker ?

Hi All
Was wondering if anyone can help over the last few years i have been researching my great grandfathers from barnsley who were clock & watchmakers and there brothers Tobias Fletcher 1782 to 1841 his father Tobias Fletcher 1751 to 1811 and his brother Thomas Fletcher 1780 to 1870 over the last year i have been picking up pictures of the long case grandfather clocks they made and recently found another clock made by a John Fletcher of barnsley and wondered if anyone could link this to Tobias Fletcher born in leeds 1751 as i have his father down as John Fletcher born abt 1716 but unfortunately dont have any other information on him or is occupation.
Regards Richard Fletcher

Attachments

oznannie

Loyal Member
Thank you Richard, great post.
I've never heard of long case grandfather clocks, excuse my ignorance.
I love clocks. Enjoyed your link, what beautiful craftsmanship.
Good luck with your search.

Ozn
ps there's a document in Anx very hard to read baptism 1777 St Mary's Barnsley
Tobrise s/o Tobrise & Eve Fletcher.

Last edited:
Hi Oznannie
Tobias Fletcher was married to Eve Fletcher and that was one of the children they had in 1777 that died they had quite a few children the main one for me being my 5th great grandfather also weirdly named Tobias who was born a few years later in 1782 to 1841 i know that he and his father were both clockmakers but have recently found a clock by john fletcher barnsley clockmaker, now i know that Tobias 1751 was born in leeds and settled and married in barnsley and as far as i know his father was called John Fletcher so im trying to see if i can connect them if that makes sense, there is also a clock in the british museum made by john fletcher barnsley which i would love to go and see but i really need to know if i have the right person.

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Richard,it was not unusual back then and for many, many years later, to name a new baby after their deceased sibling.
I hope you get to the Brit Museum to see the clock.
They really were a work of art and loving patience, inside and out.
Sorry I can't help with tracking back in Barnsley for John, I don't know where to start looking.
I hope someone in our great forum steps in.
Cheers
Oznannie

Hi All
It seems that the dates for the clock would not match with the john im looking for so i searched on some old auction sites for a John Fletcher Holbeck clockmaker and came up with several clocks made by him, and when you think that all his kids were born in holbeck it makes more sense to ask for any information anyone can come up with on a John Fletcher holbeck clockmaker to see if i can tie him to my 6th grandfather Tobias Fletcher 1751 to 1813.
Many thanks all