• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

John Francis Hunt & Bridget Skane/Skene/Skehan

Please help - I am literally going crackers over these two.
They are my gg grandparents who first turned up in Timperley Cheshire on the 1881 census.

John Francis HUNT b1854 Limerick Ireland married Annie SKENE (Skane) listed as Bridget on John Francis’ birth cert? b1857 Ireland – mother Margaret ? -having difficulty tracking her family.
Annie’s mother Margaret born 1822 in Ireland was widowed on the census reports from 1881 when she was living with this family.

Children:
1.James Henry born 6 July 1877 Mornington, Meath, Ireland and died June 1915 Salford Manchester. The IGI has mother as Bridget Hunt Skein.
James married Lavinia Ormerod.
2.Margaret Alice born 17 September 1879 Mornington, Meath Ireland. (IGI has John Hunt and mother as Bridget Skein)
3.John Francis born 4 May 1882 Altrincham, Timperley, Cheshire. (my g grandad) Baptised at Ashton Upon Mersey, St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Sale, Cheshire on 21 May 1882. Mother’s name transcribed as Birgattae Skene Hunt. John’s name is in Latin – Joannis Franciscus.(IGI Pilot)
4.William born 10 August 1884 Timperley Cheshire England. Baptised at Ashton Upon Mersey, St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Sale, Cheshire on 17 Aug 1884. Mother’s name transcribed as Birgettae Annae Strone. William’s name is in Latin – Gulielmus.(IGI Pilot)
5.Annie born 1890 Lancashire
6.Walter Vincent born 1895 Prestwich Lancashire

I can assume they arrived from Ireland after Margaret’s birth in 1879 because they appear on 1881 Cheshire census -

1881 census the family are living at Stockport Road (Orchard Place) Cheshire There is also Annie’s mother Margaret Skene (widowed) b1822 Ireland and Annie’s sister Mary Skene (single) born 1843 in Ireland, listed as domestic servant and a gardener named John Wilson born in Handforth, Cheshire in 1856
John Francis Hunt senior is a domestic coachman.
1891, 1901 has them in Broughton Manchester which ties in with my grandad's birth (Donald Francis Hunt b 1910)
I cannot find any marriage for John and Bridget, have tried the name variations for her. I cannot find any marriage either of a Margaret (her mum) to anyone called Skane etc nor her sister Mary's birth.I have searched all the places I can thinks of - A***Y, Googled, Go Ireland, BRS Genealogy, Genwed, etc etc.
Can anyone give any fresh ideas PLEASE. I know it's a long shot.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank you
Kaz