• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Harrison

gibbo

Loyal Member
I have a John Harrison born in 1852 Brighton Victoria. I have everything i need on his family so i dont need help with that but im trying to find some newspapers articles on him and im having trouble with it. Either im missing them or there isnt any:rolleyes:

Notes i have are

John was known at times as Jack. His mother died when he was 12 and his father sold him off as a servant to pay for gambling debts. The "master" beat Jack so bad and left him for dead on the Ballarat road. A family rescued him and also took him in. He worked with their horses and also won some races as a jockey at Ballarat. He also travelled to India accompanying horses that were been transported from Victoria to India for the Raj there.

Can someone else who has access to the papers check for me please incase im missing something.
Thanks

gibbo

Loyal Member
His father's name was John as well. Found this maybe his father.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) (about)
Tuesday 18 November 1862

GAMBLING ON THE RACECOURSE. - Henry; Adams and John Harrison, charged with thw offence, weie cautioned and discharged.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) (about)
Tuesday 27 October 1863

GAMBLINO ON THE RAOECOUB.SE. - John Harrison was brought up by Constable Mirks on the charge of gambling on the Rici oouTse, on Saturday last. Ordered to b locked up for twenty-four hours - Joh i G. Ridge and Samuel Davis, on tho sam charge, were locked up for the same period.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have 575 hits for "john harrison" in Victoria. Seems there are several by that name getting into trouble with the law.

Up to what date should I look?

First hit for "jack harrison" starts 1886.

In the first search box type:

fulltext:"john harrison" ~2

gibbo

Loyal Member
I have 575 hits for "john harrison" in Victoria. Seems there are several by that name getting into trouble with the law.

Up to what date should I look?

Hi Dave,

So i guess between the years of about 1865 to 1875 maybe might be worth looking at. Im a idiot at times:rolleyes: forgot he has a second name. Sorry. Full name is John Toward Harrison. His father had the exact same name as well.
He was born in 1852 and died in 1935. I think i have him on a outgoing passenger list as below, the age seems about right so maybe that is when he went on one of his overseas trips with the horses. He did come back :biggrin: cause he married after that in VIC

HARRISON JOHN 22 NIOBE AUG 1875 CALCUTTA AUG 1875

I just thought there might be a article on his jockey days or his beating he got when he got left on the side of the road. Possibly there might not be any neither.
Thanks.