• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Hegarty

Hi. I am new to this forum and looking for help.
I am looking for help in tracing evidence of my Grandfathers birth around 1870. His name was John Hegarty. I have a travel document (an early passport) but not sure how correct that is. I think his father was also John Hegarty and his mother's surname was originally Graham???. My grandfather had several brothers - Patrick William. Andrew and James as well as sisters mary. Jane . Elizabeth and letitia. His uncle (brother of John Hegarty ) was called andrew and was a doctor . He had five sons -four of whom were doctors. Can anyone help me or refer me to someone who can?

stockpot

Valued Member
From your user name & location I have worked back and I think your grandparents must be John Hegarty and Catherine McGurk who married in Consett in 1912.

In the 1939 register John gives his birth as 5 Sept 1870 and in the 1911 census he is a Blast Furnace labourer lodging in Consett. Born in Co. Derry, Ireland.

I can't find him in the 1901 census so I assume he was still in Ireland then.

It is free to search the 1911 and 1901 Irish censuses at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ and although there are a couple of men in Co. Londonderry of the right name and age I can't find anyone with any of the siblings you mention.

The original entries for Irish births can be viewed free at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/. There were 10 John Hegarty registrations in 1870, including 2 in Londonderry, but none of the 10 had the right birthday. You could try searching years around 1870 for the same birthday.

Sorry I can't be of more help but the Irish sites I mentioned might be worth looking at.
Elaine

Chris - You may by this time have found the birthdate of your grandfather John. Whether or not would be of interest to me. Your great-grandfather, John Ewing Hegarty, married to Letitia Graham, is my 2nd great-uncle. The youngest child of Andrew Hegarty & Nancy Ewing, who had 8 children, his siblings include my great-grandmother Ellen and (as you already know) Andrew, the doctor who had 4 doctor sons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 5
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 1
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 10
DaveHam9 Marriages 7
DaveHam9 Marriages 6
DaveHam9 Births 11