• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Henry Stedman

trinni

Hope I'm doing this right as I've posted this on the wanted wall too.

I'm looking for an Ancestor of my husband

Here is what I have 1877 marriage cert John Henry Stedman age 26 (1851)
occupation Butler. Father Francis (carman)
married Elizabeth Chivers 28 (1849) Sliverhill, St Leonards Sussex

1891 census John H Stedman living in Sutton age 33 note age descrepancy (born Brighton) Occupation Chimney sweep with Elizabeth and children Walter 13 (born St Leonards), Winnifred, Mary, Eva

1901 John K Stedman living in Sutton age 44 with wife and children.

I cant find him on earlier census returns and I cant find his birth

trinni

Thanks but that's not him I don't think. I sent for this cert and the father was called Thomas. There is a death in the same quarter of Henry John and I suspect it was an infant death.
I'm almost wondering if my John Henry changed his surname.

that's a pity. it would help to know his real age.
Same with Elizabeth

in 1881 Walter from 1891 census is aged 3 living with married Aunt Annie Elliott RG11-1102-43-24

Also 1881 there is an Elizabeth Stedman born 1850 (31) in Ashburg Sussex (no such place) which may be her. She is servant. Was John away in the army or in prison. RG11-1128-22-3

You can trace Elizabeth back to 1851 at least

dave

trinni

I think I have Elizabeth in the 1851 and 1861 census and birth 1850 oct quarter Faringdon.

I spotted that Walter with Elliots. I can find no Elliott connection.

On their marriage cert they are both of the same address and as he was a butler I wondered if she was in service there too. I'm not sure how to just search an address on Ancestry- or indeed if it can be done. If they were both in service it might be a reason they cant be found on 1881 census and indeed why walter was not with them.

horse

Loyal Member
This may be Elizabeth with Sister/B-i-L, 1871

Civil Parish: Ashbury
Town: Kingston Winslow
County: Berkshire
RD: Faringdon
Sub-RD: Shrivenham
ED: 5; Piece: 1257; Folio: 89; Page: 12

Henry Tilling 23
Martha Tilling 22 Wife
Henry Tilling 1 Son
Elizabeth Chivers 60 M-i-L
Elizabeth Chivers 24 S-i-L

All b. Ashbury

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Civil Parish: Sutton
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
Town: Sutton
County: Surrey
RD: Epsom
Sub-RD: Carshalton
ED: 12; Piece: 544; Folio: 92; Page: 31

John H Stedman 33 [b. Brighton]
Elizabeth Stedman 39 [b. Ashbury]
Walter Stedman 13
Winifred M Stedman 7
Mary E Stedman 2
Eva B Stedman 6/12

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Oops! Just seen the 1891 info in post #1 apologies...

Geoff
Probably helpful in one way to post the 1891 census. After exhausting a number of other routes, John's age in 1891 points to a birth of about 1857/8 as does the 1901 census.

This brings back the 'Henry John' possibility [1858] in post #2, there aren't many other possibilities, even looking at variants.

Of course John may have been born illegitimate, i.e. that may be his mother's name, perhaps he adopted the Stedman name later, if Francis' name was Stedman that is. I wonder if it just says father Francis or Francis Stedman on the mar. cert.?

Geoff

trinni

Geoff,

Yes the 1891 family in Sutton is the right one, I've found them in 1901 also.

The 1871 with the Tilling family I don't think is right. There were two Elizabeth Chivers born in Ashbury with about 4 yrs age difference. Based on age I think that this is the older Elizabeth not mine. I the parents of mine were William and Mary (not ordered a cert yet) .

horse

Loyal Member
Geoff,

The 1871 with the Tilling family I don't think is right. There were two Elizabeth Chivers born in Ashbury with about 4 yrs age difference. Based on age I think that this is the older Elizabeth not mine. I the parents of mine were William and Mary (not ordered a cert yet) .
Thanks, I'll have another look at that...

Geoff

trinni

It just says Francis which could be even mothers name I suppose but it says Carman which sounds like a mans job.

Yes the two census 91/01 give yr of birth as around 57 but marriage cert suggests earlier (51) but even putting large variant in searches draws nil.

I sent for Henry John certificate and the father is Thomas. Cant remember mother but its not Francis.

horse

Loyal Member
It just says Francis which could be even mothers name I suppose but it says Carman which sounds like a mans job.

Yes the two census 91/01 give yr of birth as around 57 but marriage cert suggests earlier (51) but even putting large variant in searches draws nil.

I sent for Henry John certificate and the father is Thomas. Cant remember mother but its not Francis.
I wasn't suggesting his mother was Francis/Frances, I meant if his parents weren't mar. he would be born under mothers maiden name.

horse

Loyal Member
I wasn't suggesting his mother was Francis/Frances, I meant if his parents weren't mar. he would be born under mothers maiden name.
This is a mid range example...

Births Q3 1854
Attree John Henry
Steyning
2b 220

His mother married a Francis Stedman, but before the birth, so it has been discounted.

Geoff