• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Henry Stedman

trinni

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been mulling over this chap for the last couple months or so and still not got anywhere although at least found his wife's parents and grandparents on one side. His family is the only gap on my fan chart.

horse

Loyal Member
Geoff,

There were two Elizabeth Chivers born in Ashbury with about 4 yrs age difference. Based on age I think that this is the older Elizabeth not mine. I the parents of mine were William and Mary (not ordered a cert yet) .
You're absolutely right, it is very difficult to pin down both Chivers' families in 1851 and 61, a lot of common ground.

I've tried to follow them with a view to Elizabeth ending up in Sussex, nearly impossible.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
You're absolutely right, it is very difficult to pin down both Chivers' families in 1851 and 61, a lot of common ground.

I've tried to follow them with a view to Elizabeth ending up in Sussex, nearly impossible.

Geoff
It's probably important to get the correct Elizabeth as the mar. indicates it may be the older of the two Elizabeths' which is not helpful :rolleyes:

trinni

I think it must be the younger Elizabeth.

Her brother John was born in Newbury. You can trace him through the censuses to St Leonards where he was a gardener in care at a place called Grove house in 1871. With his wife Sarah. In 1881 he is In Archer terrace with a wife called Mary. A death of Sarah Chivers is recorded in early 1877. Perhaps Elizabeth went to help care for his child who would have been two.
John is witness to the marriage in Nov 77 and they - John Stedman and Elizabeth were both living at Archer Terrace.

trinni

I've just found a little more on this chap. It pays to keep worrying at these problem individuals.
Walter the eldest son was born in the July quarter of 77. His birth registered as Walter Stedman Chivers - before the marriage of the parents in December.

At marriage John gives his age as 26 a discrepancy with later census which give a YOB as 1859. If born in 59, he would have been only about 18 at marriage. His wife 10 years older. Perhaps he lied at time of marriage as he did not have parental consent.

Ive found him on the 1911 census age 52 - an inpatient at an asylum described as Lunatic since aged 51.

Still no closer to establishing his parents.