• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John & Isabella RIDGEWAY

gibbo

Loyal Member
I think them letters dated 1950's were put into John Leigh's file by error.

Isabella had written to the army requesting his army records but she had noted his name as John Ridgeway when in fact in WW1 her husband was under the name of ROBERTSON William Horatio and not Ridgway hence the letters were put into the John Leigh Ridgway's file.

John Leigh Ridgway and William Horatio Robertson alias John Ridgeway were 2 different fellas. One been 5 foot 11 inches in height and the other 5 foot 5 inches. Dates of birth etc are all different as well.

Out of interest i want to know why William Horatio Robertson had 2 names:rolleyes: Wonder why he have a alias :confused: And why is his marriage registered under both his names :confused:

18058/1945
Groom RIDGEWAY JOHN
Bride CUMMINS ISABELLA GRACE
District WAVERLEY

18058/1945
Groom ROBERTSON WILLIAM MORATIO
Bride CUMMINS ISABELLA GRACE
District WAVERLEY

I reckon a birth look up for William Horatio Robertson would be interesting.
Maybe he was born as John Ridgeway and raised/fostered/adopted by the Robertson's and given William has a name :confused:

Which one was your Dave? The one who married Joan or the one who married Isabella? Thought i would ask so i dont have a serious sidetrack :biggrin:

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
PERDRIAU. In a word.:2fun:

Did you notice page 29 in W H's file? Address in Bondi. Dated 10 July 1954 and states he was born 22 Oct 1894 at Ballarat.

So 11 May 1954 Mrs G. RIDGEWAY writes to the army. The army sees 'Light Horse' and the name 'John RIDGEWAY' and matches it to 'J L RIDGWAY Light Horse No 57344' and replies asking for a Stat Dec which is dated 10 July 1954 under the name W H ROBERTSON.

He didn't use the alias when he served so, yes, why the two marriage reg and why write to the army using the name he didn't use when serving in WWI?

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
Friday 30 May 1941

ROBfcRTSON -On May 8» at her residence No 37 Church street Middle Brighton Emlly Julia deioted l ile of Robert VVIIIIam and loving mother ol Plorenco (Mrs C Hobday) and William fond grandmother of OeoSrey aged 74 years -Sadly missed

Saturday 12 July 1947

ROBERTSON.-On July 10, at his daugh-ter's residence. No. 10 St. Andrew street. Middle Brighton Robert William, dearly loved husband oí the late Julia, and loved lather of William and Florence (Mrs. Hobday), aged 79 years. -At rest

So William H had a sister name Florence. I did some checking and found army records. Florence was married to a Charles Gordon Hobday. Charles died in 1928.

Wednesday 22 August 1928

HORDAY. - On the 10th August, at Melbourne,
Charles Gordon, dearly beloved son of C. A. and the late H J. Hobday of Geelong, and dearly beloved husband of Florance, and loving father of Geoffrey, loved brother of Stanley, Leslie, Val, Winifred, Edith, Louise, and Grace, late sergeant-bandmaster, A.I.F.