• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Jackson alias Conner

gibbo

Loyal Member
Is there anyway of finding out what happened to this young fella? He was only 9 years old :( Im sidetracked again :rolleyes:

JOHN JACKSON, Theft > pocketpicking, 25th November 1850.
JOHN JACKSON, alias CONNER , stealing 1 purse, 1 ribbon, 3 half-crowns, and other moneys; the property of Caroline Letitia Smith, from her person; having been before convicted: to which he pleaded

GUILTY . Aged 9.— Transported for Seven Years.

Central Criminal Court
Old Court [before the recorder]

The following prisoners, upon whom judgment was respited, were bought up for sentencing:-
John Jackson alias Conner, whose age was stated in the calender to be nine years, and who had been convicted of stealing a purse and money from the person of a woman named Smith, was the first at the bar.
The recorder said it was very painful thing for him to pass sentence he was about to do upon a child like the prisoner, but the circumstances of the case left him no alternative, having regard to the protection of the public and the prisoners own interest. He had been convicted of a daring robbery and it appeared that he had only been out of prison four days, having been confined for another felony, when he committed the offence for which he was now to receive sentence. In addition to these facts it appeared that he had a brother who had also been convicted of felony at the present session, and there was every reason to fear that his father, instead of protecting him from mischief was rather on the contrary inclined to lead him into it, and it was therefore hopeless to expect that he could to any good in this country. The Court therefore felt it to be its duty to send him to another, where possibly he might become a good member of society.
The prisoner was then sentenced to be transported for 7 years

gibbo

Loyal Member
The 1851 census was taken on the 30 Marsh. Wonder if he can be found in prison on that census :confused: He might have had his sentencing changed to prison instead of transportation or sometimes they had to wait months before been sent here.

gibbo

Loyal Member
http://www.new2-geaneology.com/convict.html

This great link gives a John Hudson as the youngest transported:confused:
So maybe he was spared:biggrin:

Read the bit on the bottom of the link about poor Thomas Barrett...the first man hanged in Sidney:(:(

Very moving.

:eek:He was obviously hungry the poor fella.
His death index V178846 4/1788 BARRET THOMAS
And the first woman to be hanged in Australia was Ann Davis
Death index V178958 4/1789 DAVIS ANN

Great link that Lee, i hadnt seen that one before.

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
Apologies Gibbo...my laptop gave in last night and then so did i:2fun:

Looking again i think it is a different man....the Thomas Barrett on the link you posted is 30 years old...unlike the young lad at Sidney Cove.

gaelwyn

Valued Member
Just finished reading 'Orphans of History - The forgotten children of the First Fleet'

It's long winded but the main story is about John Hudson aged 9, sentenced to transportation for burglary! :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Just finished reading 'Orphans of History - The forgotten children of the First Fleet'

It's long winded but the main story is about John Hudson aged 9, sentenced to transportation for burglary! :)

Hi Gail,

Does the book say what happened to John? All i have been able to find is

There does not appear to be any record of his return from Norfolk Island and his life therefore remains a mystery. Mollie Gillen refers to a John Hudson being marked off stores at Port Jackson in October 1795, so it's unlikely
that John Hudson died at Norfolk Island

gaelwyn

Valued Member
No, John is a mystery. Last recorded on Norfolk Island with no record of his return :confused: :(
He was sent to Norfok Island on 4th March 1790 on the 'Sirius'.

The last record was dated 15th Feb 1791 - received 50 lashes for being outside his hut after hours :'(

leefer

Loyal Member
No, John is a mystery. Last recorded on Norfolk Island with no record of his return :confused: :(
He was sent to Norfok Island on 4th March 1790 on the 'Sirius'.

The last record was dated 15th Feb 1791 - received 50 lashes for being outside his hut after hours :'(
Yep i have been punished for being out of my hut after hours:biggrin:

Just verbal lashings though rather than the real deal:biggrin:
As for John Hudson,wonder if he did return to blighty:confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 5
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 1
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 10
DaveHam9 Marriages 7
DaveHam9 Marriages 6
horse English Genealogy Roots 4