• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John & Mary Cook - Overbury, Worc

jood

Valued Member
William & Elizabeth Heaven of Uley, Glos

I'm looking for 1841 census showing William & Elizabeth Heaven, possibly of Uley, Glos.

In 1841 their children (if at home) were Ann Heaven (21), James Heaven (17) Margaret Elizabeth Heaven (15). If James was working, he was more than likely a wheelwright. If the children are not with the parents, is it possible to find out where they all are in the 1841 census, and where their parents are?

I have no information on William Heaven and Elizabeth ?

Last edited:

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi,

I can only find one William and Elizabeth Heaven in Gloucestershire in 1841

William Heaven 60 Labourer
Elizabeth Heaven 55

Living in Painswick

The only other William Heaven who comes close to being a wheelwright is in Bromsberrow and he looks like a widower

William Heaven 45 Cooper
Elizabeth Heaven 16
Henry Heaven 8
George Heaven 3

Emeltee

Info courtesy TNA

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Emeltee

I can only find one William and Elizabeth Heaven in Gloucestershire in 1841

William Heaven 60 Labourer
Elizabeth Heaven 55

Living in Painswick

The only other William Heaven who comes close to being a wheelwright is in Bromsberrow and he looks like a widower

William Heaven 45 Cooper
Elizabeth Heaven 16
Henry Heaven 8
George Heaven 3
That may well be him

How faraway would the two towns be from Uley?
I didn't say William was a wheelwright, but James Heaven was. If James was born in 1824 at Uley, say his father was born roughly 1800 - then the most likely William would be the younger one, the widower. James's sisters were Ann Heaven (21), James Heaven (17) Margaret Elizabeth Heaven (15) - maybe my 15yo Margaret Elizabeth and your 16yo Elizabeth are one and the same??

I guess the next step is to look for a marriage of William and Elizabeth around 1819 and her death around 1838-40

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi,

I have had a look at the Glos baptism Index. I can't find Ann although the familysearch site has her baptised 1820. Both James and Margaret Elizabeth were baptised at St Giles, Uley 13/06/1826. William was a farmer.

I also had a look for the Uley Parish Rgisters but the only list of marriages stops at 1812 so can't help with a marriage.

Emeltee

emeltee

Loyal Member
According to the Genuki site Painswick is 9 miles NE of Uley and Bromsberrow is 23 miles N

There is a William Heaven born 1792 in Frocester to a Samuel and Sarah. Frocester is 4 miles away from Uley. However he appears on the Censuses but not with a wife Elizabeth.

Emeltee

Hey I found in my research that my great-great-great grandfather Henry Heavens was also born in Frocester too, so we might be related. But I've been having trouble finding Henry's birth and baptism records, I've tried familysearch.org, but couldn't find anything, do you know where I can find these records from?

Thank you,
Dustin Schrull

stockpot

Valued Member
1841 census :-
James Heavens, Age 16, wheelwrights apprentice

Birth county Gloucestershire

Parish or township Corse

Registration district Newent

HO107 Piece number 369, Book number 7, Folio number 4, Page number 3

He is with the family of Enos Vaughn, aged 35, a wheelwright
Corse is a little village about 6 miles NW of Gloucester, something like 20 miles from Uley.

Elaine

jood

Valued Member
Dustin I don't have a Henry Heaven - sorry

Just James, Margaret & Ann, children of William Heaven. I have Williams parents as James & Ann Elizabeth and that James was born in 1824 at Uley (confirmed)

It's ok, about a year and a half ago, I've found some new ancestors of Henry Heavens, and he was the son of Enoch and Mary Ann (Smith) Heaven, and the grandson of Giles and Dinah (Barrett) Heaven.

Thank you,
Dustin Schrull