• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Mayhall

romany rose

Valued Member
Hi
Just wondreing if anyone on their travels may have seen a picture anywhere of my ancestor,Gt Uncle
JOHN MAYHALL,he was a author ,(I have all his books) and was born 16/10/1830 at Beeston nr Nottingham ,being Christned at St Mary`s Beeston Nottingham,he married 19/5/1856 at St Peters, Leeds to Elizabeth Johnson 1829=1905
John died 7/6/1886 at his home Rose Villa,Scotland Lane Horsforth Yorkshire
he had a wide and varied career ,solicitors clerk in 1851 ,at his marriage a solicitors book keeper,1858 a county court manager and then onwards up until his death he was the High Bailiff/Sherrif of Leeds,whilst also being an author ,most famous for his Annals of Yorkshire
John and Elizabeth had 6 children,a daughter marrying into the famous Bennett family of Australia
thank you ,take care
Romany Rosex
p.s he was also patron of many things including a benefactor of Leeds infirmary and also of the Horsforth Institute

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I havent found any photos of him but i have found his marriage notice and his obituary in the newspapers. If you havent got them and would like a copy PM me your email and i will send them to you.

romany rose

Valued Member
Hello everyone
My thanks to Gibbo for all her work I had not seen the obit for Clara Elizabeth Mahall
nor the particular obit for John from the Leeds Mercury,it in turn prompted me to look up John again in the newspapers an d I ame across an article on an attempt on his life whilst sitting at the bench
Romany Rose x

romany rose

Valued Member
Hi Leefer
I often imagined him at my dinner table,Lord what things if could have told us,has I said he was my gt uncle his sister Ann Eliza being my gt grandma

p.s think we ought to start a topic in the general chat section
1who would you invite to sit down at your table??
Romany Rosex:)

leefer

Loyal Member
Probably my great grandad George Sylvanus Ferris.

He left the small village of Hockworthy in Devon(his dad and grandad were blacksmiths) and made good in Bath with a pub and married 3 times...he eventually settled near Southampton where he saw his grandson Geoffrey only once(who was my dad!)
He left over £6000 in his will which way back was a tidy sum for a blacksmiths son from deepest Devon:)

All the best to you Rose....and all

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 4
DaveHam9 Deaths 5
DaveHam9 Births 9
R Help for Names or Surnames 2
R Wills 1
R Wills 1