• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Redvers Elders

Lehane

I just received the marriage certificate for John Redvers Elders and his wife Teresa Wiseman and it's thrown up a couple of questions.

I've ordered their birth certificates to find their exact birth dates and parents names, but until those certificates arrive I was trying to find them on the 1911 census, however I cannot find John anywhere.

I tried to do a search for Harriet Elders, who I believe to be his mother, and it came up with her in the Scarborough district (using the free search on the 1911 site) however ancestry has no Harriet Elders in that district.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to continue my search? The birth certificates won't solve this question, and I'm really confused!

If it helps, John Redvers is in Redcar in 1926 :)

Lehane

Is that the 1901 census?

I've found that family group which I am assuming to be the correct one, but John Redvers and mother disappear in 1911...

Teresa isn't to be found in the 1901 census either. Maybe I'm just related to a bunch of shifty people avoiding the census, which knowing my Grandad, is entirely possible!

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Is that the 1901 census?

I've found that family group which I am assuming to be the correct one, but John Redvers and mother disappear in 1911...

Teresa isn't to be found in the 1901 census either. Maybe I'm just related to a bunch of shifty people avoiding the census, which knowing my Grandad, is entirely possible!
Yes, 1901. I can't see any of them in the later census.:mad::D

Maybe you should wait a bit for the certs to arrive, or you'll drive yourself nuts.:2fun::2fun:

Steve.:)

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello,

Using the free search facility at FMP, Harriet Elders born 1872 is in Scarborough with some or all of the following people.

Hannah Edwards 46
Matthew Edwards 48
Fanny Hammerton 28
Cecil Francis Lord 42
Kate Pickup 37
Mary Louisa Woodall 58
William Otter Woodall 74

Sorry I haven't got a sub to this census, but I’m sure one of our very kind members will have a look for you!

Best wishes,

Josie :)

Hi
this is teresa's family in 1891. I haven't found them in 1901 yet.

1891 England Census

Name: William Wiseman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation: Son
Father's name: John Wiseman
Mother's name: Catherine Wiseman
Where born: Middlesborough, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Middlesborough
Ecclesiastical parish: St Hildas
Town: Middlesborough
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Middlesbrough
Sub-registration district: Middlesbrough

Piece: 4004
Folio: 36
Page Number: 16

John Wiseman 33 Tadcaster, Yorks Bricklayers lab
Catherine Wiseman 29 Barrow in Furness
William Wiseman 7 M'boro
Mary Wiseman 5 M'boro
Catherine Wiseman 7/12 M'boro

dave

Lehane

Harriet aged 39 Widow South Milford, is a servant/cook in Scarborough

John Elders died A/J 1904 Gateshead ref 10a 518

perhaps John jnr was fostered or put into care

dave
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if there's any way to find out if he did go into care?

Regarding Teresa's family, her father is listed as Dick Wiseman on her marriage certificate, which is completely different to John... I'll see if the same name appears on the birth certificate.

Hi
re Teresa's father. It is still possible that you have the right family. I cannot find any of them in 1901. In 1891 John is the husband. I wonder if he is John Richard or vice versa, as there is a marriage of a Richard Wiseman in Mar qtr 1883 in Middlesborough ref 9d 739. One of the two brides listed is a Catherine Briggs. This is a year before the birth of the first child William listed on 1891 census as 7 years old

dave

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello Lehane,

Just wondered if you had Harriet’s family in 1881? If not here they are...

Address: Gascoigne Wood Junction, South Milford

John Pickup 45 Railway Station Master
Mary Pickup 42 (wife)
Francis James Pickup 21
Mary Jane Pickup 20
Fred Walker Pickup 18
Harriet Pickup 9 (born Milford Old Junction)
Kate Pickup 7
Edith Pickup 1

RG11/4714/97/6 (Copyright TNA)

In 1911, Harriet is with her sister Kate Pickup and they are both servants at the home of the Woodalls in Scarborough.

It occurred to me that Harriet might have left her son, John in the care of one of the members of her family, while she was working, but more investigation is needed on this!

The records will still be there tomorrow!

Good night!

Josie

josie7644

Valued Member
Also in 1911, Mary Alice Elders, aged 9 is with Mary Pickup, aged 72 and Edith Pickup, aged 31 in the Tadcaster RD!

I think Mary Alice must be John's younger sister.

Still looking for John....