• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John & Susan FURNER

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble making sense of this family from a tree with no sources.

John FURNER & Susanna GOLDING
Marriage: 3 Dec 1723 Hastings, Sussex

Children
Mercy c. 5 May 1724 Brede, Sussex
Susan c. 26 Jun 1726 Icklesham, Sussex
Mary c. 21 Jan 1727 Icklesham, Sussex

Settlement certificate PAR401/32/1/5 11 April 1726
Contents:
John Furner, his wife Susan and child Mary; Brede

I presume that is relief from the parish. I'm puzzled why only Mary is mentioned. I suppose Susan could have been born after 11 Apr 1726 to not be mentioned but then I can't explain the baptism date for Mary. It mentions Brede so could that mean the Icklesham baptisms are actually errors in the tree? It's possible they only had one child born and baptised in Brede and the ref to 'child Mary' is actually a ref to Mercy. ???

Regards,

Dave

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

just some first thoughts. Brede and Iklesham are adjacent parishes, with not much in between. a simple move of home could account for a different parish for the baptism. another possible explanation (an example of which happened in my family) is that the local church was closed for repairs and so the service took place at a neighbouring church. in my case a helpful vicar annotated the parish register to explain why the baptism was in a different church.

I agree Mary and Mercy could be interchangeable. perhaps given the high infant mortality the eldest child died and therefore not mentioned in the parish settlement.

I will keep digging

dochines

dochines

Valued Member
hi Dave,

The best "source" I have at home is the IGI/ Family search.org. I notice the baptism for Mercy is submitted wheras the parental marriage and the Icklesham entries are all extracted.

I find extracted records largely reliable wheres submitted are more often than not wrong.

I guess you will need to view the parish records....... sorry not to have got further.

The area between Hastings and Rye is lovely if you don't know the area

dochines

woodlander

Valued Member
Sorry I can't offer more reasoning than has been suggested but I assume you meant Furner since you typed it in a few places - maybe the Turner I found is a wrongly assumed transcription?

Year of Marriage: 1723
Last Name: Turner
First Name: John
Supplied First Name: Jn
Spouse's Last Name: Golding
Spouse's First Name: Susan
Spouse's Supplied First Name: Sus
Place: Hastings
Dedication: At Clement
Possible Counties:
County: Sussex

Sadly I didn't locate any baptisms to help under either Furner or Turner

Good luck with it

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello dochines,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've not been to E Sussex but do hope to one day since my grandmother is a FURNER.

Yes the parishes are very close as the crow flies but they seem a long way apart by road either via Hastings or Rye considering what roads would have been there in early 1700s.

I'm puzzled by the settlement date which is before Susan's baptism. To explain why she was not mentioned you could say she was born after that date but then it conflicts with the baptism date of Mary. It's way less than 9 month even allowing for Mary to have been baptised only few days old.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello woodlander,

Thank you very much for that record. The name is FURNER but a few records from 19thC and 20thC do appear as TURNER. That's the first one I've seen that is 18thC. Someone somewhere has assumed it to be a more common name.

Regards,

Dave

josie7644

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

Just throwing a spanner in the works! :biggrin:

There's another baptism of Mary Furner, same place, same parents on 4 Jan 1729.

indexing project (batch) number: C14808-1

source film number:1067213

Josie

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Josie,

Yes, I have that one in my tree but decided the post was complicated enough so I left her off.

Very few of the FURNER records are on IGI and most of the parishes I need like Brede are not yet on the OPC site. Another complicating thing is that later on the family became Wesleyan Methodists and some records are RG4 - Non-conformist.

The settlement record lists Mary but the first Mary was born after 11 Apr 1726 so I suppose a simple explanation would be to substitute Mercy for Mary in the record. The family was in Brede and they had one daughter and they sought relief from the Brede parish.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Edward FURNER c. 30 Jan 1721 Brede, Sussex

married 21 or 29 Apr 1762

Mary ADES / ADER c. ?

Children include:

Edward c. 28 Aug 1763 Brede, Sussex

PARISH OF HASTINGS ST CLEMENT
Settlement examination PAR367/32/4/38 30 Jan 1794
These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office
Archival history:
Formerly PAR 367/32/4/34 and before as Hastings Museum ECP 4/131
Contents:
Edward Furner of Hastings St Clement; born at Brede 30 years ago, son of Edward Furner, 15 years ago moved with father to St Mary-in-the-Castle Hastings where he remained for nine years.

Does that say Edward, junior left Hastings after being there nine years but is back by 1794 seeking relief from the parish? It seems to say Edward spent time away from the parish but the nine years he spent there must qualify him on his return for relief. Or am I reading it incorrectly?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Deaths 4
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 4
DaveHam9 Deaths 6
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 15
emeltee Marriages 3
DaveHam9 1881 Census Request 4