• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Thomas Bedford

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking for John Thomas + Elizabeth Bedford. in 1861

Son Walter Mancel Bedford b1852, London, and was baptised at St.Sepulchre, Holborn. in 1856.

John Thomas + Elizabeth's address was given as, Snow Hill, 12, King St.
John Thomas's occupation was given as stamper, and the Royal Mint is just down the road.

King St
. is situated between the church of baptism and the Mint.

Steve.:)

Hi Steve

I haven't been able to find them in 1861, do you have John & Eliza in 1871.

I searched the address you mention and found these articles that may be of interest to you.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Wednesday, October 10, 1877; Issue 12325. - Advertising
AUDITORS
John Thomas Bedford Esq. 12, King-street, Snow-hill, and Mecklenburg-square (Chairman of the West Ham Park Committee)

Daily News (London, England), Wednesday, July 16, 1879; Issue 10371. - Advertising
AUDITORS
John Thomas Bedford Esq. 12, King-street, Snow-hill, and Mecklenburg-square (Chairman of the Epping Forest Committee)

There's also a couple of articles in 1872 & 1873 for a John Thomas Bedford Esq in Ireland. Could be another one.

cheers
crankypants

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
This is the marriage, but I still cannot find them.

Name: Eliza Kellow Pook
Birth Year: abt 1828
Spouse Name: John Thomas Bedford
Spouse Age: 28
Date: 27 Sep 1847
Parish: Saint George The Martyr
County: Middlesex
Borough: Southwark
Father Name: William Pook
Spouse Father Name: Thomas Bedford

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
John Thomas Bedford had 2 other children, Arthur(1847) and Mary(1850), who died at a very young age. Arthur, a few months, and Mary 1yr 4months.

This left *Walter Mancel Bedford(1852)* as an only child I think.

John Thomas Bedford, was a 'Coffin Furniture Manufacturer' at the time of Arthur's birth, but a 'Stamper' on the births of Mary and Walter.

As I've been unable to find these* in any later census, apart from 1901.

After crankypants found John Thomas Bedford in the newspaper articles, I found this Annual report for The British Land Company.
The auditor at the bottom is John Thomas Bedford. in 1877.
http://www.britishland.com/images/1876.pdf

So where are they in the census.:confused:

Steve.:mad: :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve don't you find it odd that someone who was a coffin maker or a stamper was also an auditor? It doesn't sound like they are the same person. What do you think?

Janice
Thats what I thought Janice. But to have the same name and address on the newspaper articles, and the baptism records of Walter Mancel Bedford and Athur and Mary, just seems too much of a coincidence.

I also assumed that a stamper was some sort of metal press operator. But what that is, I really don't know now.

1852 he's a Stamper, and by Febuary 1876 he's an auditor. :confused:

Makes some sense somewhere.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Looks like the Bedfords in 1851

Class HO107
Piece 1526
Folio 211
Page 34
Hi Julie,

Got the 1851 entry, but the 1871/1881 seems to be the man again, and rather a posh area, even in those days. And he is an employer.

So I could assume Eliza died around 1853 to 1865, as the youngest in the 1871 entry is 6yrs old.
But where is Walter Mancel Bedford. 19yrs old by 1871 and somewhere else.

So 1861census would hold some info for this family.

Now here comes a stretch. Did they go to NZ after 1853 and return by 1865, leaving Walter in NZ and perhaps Eliza died there as well. Which would also explain Sydney Bedfords birth in NZ.

Oh my head.:confused:

Thanks Julie.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
S'cuse my ignorance Julie, I'm still very much a learner.....what do you mean by Class, Piece, Folio, Page? Is that census info or something else and how do you get there?

Many thanks

Janice
Hi Janice,
If you look across the bottom of the transcribed record, you will see the 'Source Citation', (just underneath the SAVE this record button). This confirms we are all looking at the same record.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like Sydney on the incoming passenger list.

S Bedford
Age 26
Arrival date 20 Nov 1914
Port of Departure New Zealand
Port of Arrival London
Ports of Voyage Wellington
Ship Name Corinthic
Shipping Line Shaw Savill Line

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

I'm wondering if this is Walter in 1861.

Class RG9
Piece 851
Folio 9
Page 12

Walters birth is registered in Kensington. Have a look at Wikipaedias discription of Notting Hill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill

Could this be Walter in 1871

Class RG10
Piece 1781
Folio 61
Page 7
Hi Julie,
Got those in my shoebox thanks.
Now Nottinghill is very close to Shirland Rd./Formosa St./Abercorn Place./Delamere terrace. And these addresses all figure greatly in the family. and maybe where the Cromptons and the Bedfords collide.

Got the passenger list as well Julie.

All I have to do is try and knit this all together.:D

Thanks again Julie.

Well Steve, this certainly explains Syd's wonderlust!

He comes home to England in 1914 then goes off to join the Buenos Aries railway in Argentina. He volunteers and is drafted to France in 1915 and is demobbed to London in 1919, then goes back to Argentina where he dies in 1929 (Somewhere in there he gets back to England, gets Emily Holloway pregnant and later marries her in May 1918 - son John is born in October).

I guess the genes are showing!

Janice

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well Steve, this certainly explains Syd's wonderlust!

He comes home to England in 1914 then goes off to join the Buenos Aries railway in Argentina. He volunteers and is drafted to France in 1915 and is demobbed to London in 1919, then goes back to Argentina where he dies in 1929 (Somewhere in there he gets back to England, gets Emily Holloway pregnant and later marries her in May 1918 - son John is born in October).

I guess the genes are showing!

Janice
I don't know what you mean Janice.:rolleyes: :biggrin:
It certainly is a great story, and what a family.
We need a few more wrinkles ironed out in the details, but it's looking promising.
I just can't put together the STAMPER and AUDITOR though. Perhaps John Thomas was multi talented, and he certainly lived in some good areas. I wonder if he had shares in the Property Company.

Well, there was always talk that the Bedfords were landowners, but that was probably just a romanticism.

However, The British Land Company thing piqued my interest. They still exist and it is quite a big company. It was established in 1856 to enable people to buy land so they could vote and John Thomas was an auditor from 1874 to at least 1884. The rest of the old records were destroyed during the war so we do not know (yet) how long he was with the company. Also interesting is that his fellow auditor Holmes, became a Director, so maybe John Thomas did some time too.

Still researching.....

Janice