• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Thorpe Stevens. 1817. Great Missenden, Bucks.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
John Thorpe Stevens married Elizabeth Williams, in 1842 @ St Marylebone.

2 Children, Lucretia Mary(1852) and Elizabeth Sarah(1856).

All census returns found after 1851. Died in West Ham in 1895.

His occupation is a Baker.

He is a brother to Sarah & Mary Stevens(in another thread).

Can he be found in the 1841 census.

Thanks for looking......again.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think this a bit of a hopeless task, as the only real evidence to go on is his name and age and occupation in reality.

Found one likely suspect in St Marylebone, with Occ. as a labourer. Seems to be house of multiple occupation. So I'll take that as solved really.:confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Now here's a bit of a coincidence, Elizabeth Williams(c1816), gives a pob as Wales in the 1851 census, then Frome and Bridgewater, Somerset, in later census.

Her father was David Williams.

So I think I've found her in St Marylebone in 1841 census.

I've just done a search for her baptism in Familysearch, and one popped up that got my interest.

Elizabeth Williams.
Gender - Female
Christened - 3 Apr 1815
Christening Place TRINITY CALVINISTIC METHODIST, DEVYNOCK, BRECON,WALES
Birth - 31 Mar 1815
Father - David Williams
Mother - Lucretia Jenkins.

I know this is grasping at straws, but the name Lucretia seemed a bit of a coincidence, as it's a name of one of her daughters. This christian name has never appeared in my family names at all. So it does make me wonder.:rolleyes::biggrin:

I know there was a lot of tooing froing between Wales and and the SW of England, so this baptism record is one for my notes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

emeltee

Loyal Member
Certainly sounds good to me. Lucretia is not a common name. I've found a couple like that, where a name which is not very common continues down the generations.

Emeltee

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Certainly sounds good to me. Lucretia is not a common name. I've found a couple like that, where a name which is not very common continues down the generations.

Emeltee
The daughters second christian names, which I suppose, were named after his sisters, or his mother.

I'll still keep it in my notes, but it seems all too feasible.:biggrin: