• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

John Topsfield (c1750-1797).

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My ancestor was John Topsfield, who was an overseer of the poor of Rochford, and was a basket maker. In October 1779, a duty was paid for him taking on Joseph Osborn as an apprentice as a basketmaker, and the index says from 29 Sep 1777, so it seems he had Joseph as his apprentice for 2 years by Oct 1779. Those indexes are just indexes, and it would be good to see the indenture as Joh Topsfield married Mary Osbourne in Manningtree, Essex on the 9th August 1779. John was of Rochford and Mary of Manningtree. Witnesses Hannah Jarrold and Ann Last.

Nothing confirmed, as Osbourne is quite a common surname, yet but it does seem John may have married a relative of Joseph, the indenture may say where Joseph was from. I did find a Joseph Osbourne baptised in July 1761 in Dedham near Manningtree, son of Samuel and Mary. Joseph had an older sister Mary baptised in 1756. However I did find a Joseph Osbourne buried in July 1762 inDedham, and the register says he was a child, so sadly he may be the one born 1761.