• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Webster Lawson

Muchelney

I am trying to find where my Great Grandfather was in 1881 I believe he may have been in London. He originally came from Sheffield. I have not been able to find him since the 1871 Census when he lived at 124 Upper Hanover Street Sheffield with his parents.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Matches the names in the above marriage notice.

1881 census
Name: John Lawson
Event Place: Sheffield, Yorkshire,Yorkshire West Riding, England
Registration District: Sheffield
Residence Note: Portobello St
Marital Status: Married
Marital Status (Original): Married
Birth Year (Estimated): 1856
Birthplace: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Page Number: 25
Registration Number: RG11
Piece/Folio: 4642/17
Affiliate Record Type: Household
John Lawson Head Male 25 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Hannah F Lawson Wife Female 27 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Elizth Lawson Daughter Female 0 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Mary E Parratt Female 15 Clapthern, Northamptonshire, England

Muchelney

Gibbo that looks very much like our "John" as I would be surprised if there were two William Webster Lawson's in Sheffield at the same time. John was actually born in 1855, I know that for sure as I have a copy of his birth certificate. This is a surprise as there has never been any mention by anyone in the family of him being married in England before he went to Paris to study and then came out to Australia. Thank you, this sends me off on another road.

Muchelney

I know ask the question if John Webster Lawson was married to Hannah Frith in 1880 I wonder what happened to her and their daughter Elizabeth, as I have no record of a former wife and child. John married my Great Grandmother in Australia in 1898.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Last edited:

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Name: John W LawsonAge: 44Estimated birth year: abt 1857Relation to Head: HeadGender: MaleSpouse: Hannah LawsonBirth Place: Beverley, Yorkshire, EnglandCivil Parish: SculcoatesSearch Photos: Ecclesiastical parish: ChristchurchCounty/Island: YorkshireCountry: England Piece: 4496Folio: 34Page Number: 21

Muchelney

I don't think that one fits.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7N7Q-WT2
Draughtsman

Don't know why FS never gives the same details for all census. For 1891 you only get County of birth.
DaveHam9, the entry in 1891 Draughtsman Artist fits for my John Webster Lawson, he was born in 1855 not 1856 and he is still in Sheffield. He is listed as single, so I don't know what happened to his wife and daughter

Muchelney

I can't find the draughtsman in 1901.

Calling himself single in 1891.
John Webster Lawson, was in Australia in 1901. He went to Paris to study Art mid 1890's then on to Australia around 1895. I believe he studied at the Sheffield School of Arts and South Kensington school London, that is why I was a bit surprised by a marriage & daughter as he wouldn't have been able to support them and in all my family papers I have never found any evidence of them.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I know ask the question if John Webster Lawson was married to Hannah Frith in 1880 I wonder what happened to her and their daughter Elizabeth, as I have no record of a former wife and child. John married my Great Grandmother in Australia in 1898.
John's marriage cert. to Hannah would help confirm it is infact the right John.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 6
M Genealogy General Help 6
DaveHam9 Deaths 14
DaveHam9 Deaths 9
DaveHam9 Marriages 13
A English Genealogy Roots 0