• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Webster Lawson

gibbo

Loyal Member
1911 census has Hannah noted as Widow and is a housekeeper, no kids noted in the column for how many kids born alive and how any kids dead [free ancestry]

Name: Hannah Frith Lawson
Event Place: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
County: Yorkshire (North Riding)
Parish: Scarborough
Sub-District: Scarborough
Sub-District Number: 2
District Number: 527
Enumeration District: 10
Registration District: Scarborough
Marital Status: Widowed
Marital Status (Original): WIDOW
Number in Family: 6
Birth Year (Estimated): 1854
Birthplace: Sheffield, Yorkshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Housekeeper
Schedule Type: 137
Page Number: 1
Registration Number: RG14
Piece/Folio: 275
James Wheater Head Male 49 Hunmanby, Yorkshire
Henry Norman Danby Boarder Pupil Male 15 Ebberston, Yorkshire
Richard Allan Danby Boarder Pupil Male 13 Ebberston, Yorkshire
George Dickinson Williams Boarder Pupil Male 14 Foston, Yorkshire
Hannah Frith Lawson Housekeeper Female 57 Sheffield, Yorkshire
Jane Elizabeth Ferguson England Servant Female 27 Scarboro,

gibbo

Loyal Member
LAWSON, SARAH MADELINE - READ
GRO Reference: 1882 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 491
Deaths Sep 1971
LAWSON Sarah Madeline 31Au1882 Leeds 2c 596

London gazette
LAWSON, Sarah Madeline, 110 Raynel Drive, Leeds 16, Yorkshire. 20th August
1971, Lupton & Fawcett, Westminster House, 29 Bond Street, Leeds 1, Solicitors. (Gladys
Kirby and Peter Francis Ringrose.)

Muchelney

1911 census has Hannah noted as Widow and is a housekeeper, no kids noted in the column for how many kids born alive and how any kids dead [free ancestry]

Name: Hannah Frith Lawson
Event Place: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
County: Yorkshire (North Riding)
Parish: Scarborough
Sub-District: Scarborough
Sub-District Number: 2
District Number: 527
Enumeration District: 10
Registration District: Scarborough
Marital Status: Widowed
Marital Status (Original): WIDOW
Number in Family: 6
Birth Year (Estimated): 1854
Birthplace: Sheffield, Yorkshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Housekeeper
Schedule Type: 137
Page Number: 1
Registration Number: RG14
Piece/Folio: 275
James Wheater Head Male 49 Hunmanby, Yorkshire
Henry Norman Danby Boarder Pupil Male 15 Ebberston, Yorkshire
Richard Allan Danby Boarder Pupil Male 13 Ebberston, Yorkshire
George Dickinson Williams Boarder Pupil Male 14 Foston, Yorkshire
Hannah Frith Lawson Housekeeper Female 57 Sheffield, Yorkshire
Jane Elizabeth Ferguson England Servant Female 27 Scarboro,
That is interesting - if this is my ancestor John Webster's wife, he was very much alive in 1911, he passed away in Australia in 1941

gibbo

Loyal Member
He probably left and after that amount of time she might have thought he had died if he hadnt gone home. I checked the newspapers on the off chance there was a notice from her looking for him re maintenance etc but couldnt find anything. I think the only way you will be able to confirm it without a doubt would be the marriage cert. between John and Hannah and see who noted as father etc.

Muchelney

He probably left and after that amount of time she might have thought he had died if he hadnt gone home. I checked the newspapers on the off chance there was a notice from her looking for him re maintenance etc but couldnt find anything. I think the only way you will be able to confirm it without a doubt would be the marriage cert. between John and Hannah and see who noted as father etc.
Thanks gibbo, I did think of that. I have a cousin with Ancestry.com she is going to have a look in there otherwise I will try and chase up a marriage certificate and maybe a divorce record. William Webster Lawson is certainly my ancestor John's father, so you would have to think it is him - I don't think anyone in my family knew of this. Thank you for your help.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks gibbo, I did think of that. I have a cousin with Ancestry.com she is going to have a look in there otherwise I will try and chase up a marriage certificate and maybe a divorce record. William Webster Lawson is certainly my ancestor John's father, so you would have to think it is him - I don't think anyone in my family knew of this. Thank you for your help.
Your welcome. There may not be a divorce record so dont be surprised if you dont find one. Back then their word was taken a lot of the time, no computers then to check records etc. Him getting married over here no one would be any the wiser he had already been / was married unless he told them. If he told them or stated on his Australian marriage cert. that he was single no one would have questioned it more so if he didnt have family here to spill the beans.

Muchelney

Your welcome. There may not be a divorce record so dont be surprised if you dont find one. Back then their word was taken a lot of the time, no computers then to check records etc. Him getting married over here no one would be any the wiser he had already been / was married unless he told them. If he told them or stated on his Australian marriage cert. that he was single no one would have questioned it more so if he didnt have family here to spill the beans.
He also lost all his papers and a lot of his paintings in a house fire in 1898, prior to his first marriage in Australia.