• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John William Hallam - Derbyshire

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Can anyone help with this please?

John William Hallam Born: 15 July 1884 Shipley, Derbyshire

Looking for a death after 8 Dec 1906 (as he was married that day!).

Any help or information, greatfully recieved.
Thanks,
Dave

duckweed

Loyal Member
Re: John Willaim Hallam - Derbyshire

I have one the right age died in Derby in 1954. Any way of narrowing it down? 1911 census, birth of children?

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Re: John Willaim Hallam - Derbyshire

Thanks for the reply Joyce, I appreciate it :)

I have a marriage as follows:
Marriage certificate 8 December 1906:
John William Hallam, aged 22, Bachelor, Coal Miner of North Norman Street, Cotmanhay. No father or proffession entered.
Ada Woolley, aged 20, spinster of North Norman Street, Cotmanhay. Father Aurthur Woolley, Labourer at Gas Works.
Married according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the Methodist Free Church.
Ebenezer Chapel, Awsworth Road, Ilkeston, Derbys.
Witnesses: Edward Davies, Elizabeth Pope.

Also the following children:
John W Hallam b. 20 May 1908 - Died at birth
HALLAM Arthur, b. 1909
HALLAM Walter Herbert, b. 13 Sep 1911

I have no details of 1911 Census

Kindest regards

Hi - John William 28 Coal Miner, Hewer, went into lodgings on his own in Abbott St, Awsworthy Notts, whilst his wife Ada and 2 children John William and Arthur went into a large institution at Highbury Rd, Bagthorpe, Notts. 2 of their children died before this

dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi - John William 28 Coal Miner, Hewer, went into lodgings on his own in Abbott St, Awsworthy Notts, whilst his wife Ada and 2 children John William and Arthur went into a large institution at Highbury Rd, Bagthorpe, Notts. 2 of their children died before this

dave
Davelambert271 where is his information from please?

emeltee thanks! I too have had a look at freeBMD and like you I don't know which - that's why I am asking for help and if anyone has any further information / dates

Thanks all,
Dave

duckweed

Loyal Member
I did see a John William Hallam in the 1st world war records but he was 2 years younger. He tried signing up for the Sherwood Foresters but was declared unfit.

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
davelambert271
I will pm you directly. Thanks mate.

duckweed
I did see a John William Hallam in the 1st world war records but he was 2 years younger. He tried signing up for the Sherwood Foresters but was declared unfit.
Any information would be great to see. Maybe he was lying about his age! Did it state why he was "unfit"?
May lead me to his death...........

Thanks all,
Regards,
Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Thanks for trying Carol :) Thanks again to Dave also

John William Hallam last whereabouts was at Abbot Street, Awsworth near Ilkeston and his family - Wife Ada (pregnant with my Grandfather!) and 2 children were in the Workhouse at Basford, Highbury Vale, Bulwell, Nottingham.

My grandfather was born in September 1911, so she must have been already pregnant when going into the workhouse!

Whatever happened then no-one knows, except my Grandad was brought up by his uncle's family, and Arthur by another Uncle.

I have a possible death for J.W Hallam, from FreeBMD:
Deaths Mar 1928
Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber

Hallam John W. 44 Nottingham 7b 435 cmdevine

I will have to take the chance and order the death certificate.
I also need now to find Ada (nee Woolley) Hallam!! Maybe she died after giving birth to my Grandfather in the workhouse? Maybe that was the reason the children were sent out to live with there relatives!?!?

Thanks again,
Regards,
Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Thought I would give you an update.

Went to the Nottingham Archives and had a couple or hours on their PC with access to the 1911 census.

Got the relevant information on John William Hallam who was living as a lodger at a house in Abbot Street in Awsworth, Nottingham.

Sadly his wife Ada Hallam and her two sons (Arthur & John (1 & 2 respectively)) were in an institution - in other words in the Basford Union workhouse on Highbury Vale, Bulwell, Nottingham.

The Census being April, meant that Ada was pregnant with my Granddad Walter Herbert!

As I was in the Archives, I also ordered a viewing of some records from the workhouse, which I viewed afterwards! I signed for them, put them onto a "pillow" and with gloved hands opened the first one, which listed all the Children's names in the Basford Institution and was a register in alphabetical page listing.

I tentatively went to the "H" page and there, a few rows down - HALLAM. It listed 2 children Arthur (born in Ilkeston) and Walter Herbert (born 13/9/1911 in this institution). Bless them both! Especially my Granddad as he was born there!

There was some other information, but it also had:
Date incoming: 28 Jan 1915
Date leaving: 16/10/1916
So I have them there April 1911 and again up to October 1916?? Were they there, then left then came back in or were they there for the full 5 years? Questions questions!!
It also said on leaving "Discharged to care of Mother (Herbert) & Arthur to Father".

After these findings, we can understand why the two brothers split and grew up separately with 2 separate Uncles.

But there is still a lot of investigating to do!
Still have no death of John William Hallam
or for that matter - Ada Hallam.

Thanks all for your help, :)

Regards,
Dave