• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John WOODRUFF & Eliza MACKAY

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
John Woodruff baptised 9 Jan 1828 Deal - William Knight Woodruff and Elizabeth Mary

John's arrival not found ? Marriage not yet found before or after arrival ??

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA) - Sat 15 Nov 1851 p.3
UNCLAIMED LETTERS.-OCTOBER 31, 1851
..., John Woodruff, ...

Vic. Birth 11310/1857 WOODRUFF William John Mackay - John - Eliz McKAY - b. Portland, Vic.

NSW Death 6320/1897 WOODRUFF ELIZA - JAMES - LUCINDA - ST LEONARDS * 24 May * age 80 ?

I have nothing more on Eliza.

Death

John Woodruff born 1828 died 1863 Victoria parents William Knight and Elizabeth White

Not sure if it is the same John Woodruff but there is an arrival in Melbourne 1860 for a John Woodruff, Trader, born 1828, on board the Owen Glendower. It doesn't state whether he was married or not but he was travelling alone.

Thanks emeltee.

Not a very common name. Perhaps the initial arrival was in South Aust.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.) - Wed 15 Jul 1863 p.5
An inquest was held yesterday, by Dr. Youl, the city coroner, at Emerald-hill, upon vlew of the body of John Woodruff. ... It appeared from the evidence adduced at the inquest that the deceased John Woodruff was married, and leaves a wife and child. He was employed in the Customs service, and lived at Emerald-hill. ...

He was struck by a train.

There is a birth in 1857 in Portland Victoria for a William John Mackay Woodruff parents John /Elizabeth Mckay. He died 1919 ni New Zealand.

Thanks emeltee.

Purewa Cemetery Burials Transcription
William John Mackay Woodruff
Age 63
Occupation Farmer
Birth year 1856
Birth place Portland, Victoria
Last residence Whakatane
Death year 1919
Possible cause of death not stated
Undertaker name C Little
Burial date 9 Dec 1919
Grave contents Body
Burial number 7145
Area A
Row 022
Plot 036
Country New Zealand
Record set Purewa Cemetery Burials

I can't find any trees with details of the Mackay side.

Last edited:
I have found a tree which gives Eliza Mackay as having been born 1817 in County Wicklow but I cannot find anything to confirm this.

The same tree gives a date of death as 24 May 1897 but doesn't say where. There is a death in 1897 for an Eliza Woodruff in St Leonards, NSW with parents James and Lucinda but whether this is the correct Eliza Woodruff I just don't know.

Thanks emeltee.

Correct death but don't know if parents as listed are correct.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Tue 1 Jun 1897 p.1
Deaths.
WOODRUFF.-May 24, at Corona, Chatswood, Eliza Woodruff, beloved mother of W. J. Mackay Woodruff, formerly of Fontainebleau, St. Kllda, Victoria, aged 80 years.

Gore Hill Cemetery
Woodruff Eliza Church of England O 107 Age 80 23/05/1897 25/05/1897 Findlay Avenue Chatswood CoE-O-107

Looks as though the cemetery record has the wrong date of death.

Back