• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Johnstons of New Monkland

Hi

I am looking for the marriage of James Johnston b. 11 Novenber 1745 and his wife Agnes Martin b.abt 1749 believed to have married December 1770. Can any one help please?

Heather

KeithS

Hi Heather,

I hope this little lot will prove helpful and is, in fact, the kind of thing you are looking for:

All these records come from the International Genealogical Index (IGI) created by the Mormons. I also believe that they have the registers for the church on microfilm. So, if there is a Mormon Library anywhere near you, they could get the films in for you for a very small fee (usually just enough to cover postage). There, you will be able to see the full entries in the Parish Registers.

James Johnston - born about 1745, Married Agnes Martin - born about 1749, in December 1770 at New Monkland Parish Church. There was no more specific information given.

Children:

1) Euphemia (or Phamie) Johnston. Born 17 August 1776 at Sikeside, Old Monkland. Married 29 March 1805 to John Muir (B. about 1772) of Old Monkland.

2) James Johnston. Born 14 November 1779 at Old Monkland. Married 3 January 1801 to Elizabeth Newcastle (B. about 1780). Died about 1821 (this date is in question - see the entry for his children below).

3) Janet (or Jane) Johnston. Born 19 October 1783 at Old Monkland. Married 17 January 1806 to James Kennibrough.

4) George Johnston. Born July 1785 at Sikeside, Old Monkland. Married 2 April 1820 to Mary Anne Brownlee (B. about 1799). 1 child - Frances Johnston. Born 26 June 1822 at New Monkland.

Now to return to James Johnston (above) for a list of his children:

2.1) James Johnston. Born 1801 at Old Monkland

2.2) Ann Johnston. Born 4 September 1802 at Old Monkland. Christened 22 September 1802. Married 1 December 1823 to John C Campbell (B. about 1798 at Georgia, USA). Ann must have died soon after because John remarried 20 May 1828 to Anne Johnston (no relation) of Henry County, Georgia.

2.3) Frances Johnston. Born 1806 at Old Monkland. Married 6 April 1834 to John Gray (B. about 1802). She died 1 March 1897.

2.4) Thomas Johnston. Born 1809 at Old Monkland. Christened 23 April 1809. I believe he died very soon after because:

2.5) Thomas Johnston. Born 15 May 1811 at Old Monkland. Christened 2 June 1811.

2.6) Euphemia Johnston. Born 14 May 1814 at Old Monkland. Christened 29 May 1814. Married May 1831 to William Gavin (B. about 1810).

2.7) George Johnston. Born 9 July 1817 at Old Monkland. Married 29 February 1840 to Janet Johnston (B. at New Monkland about 1818. Died about 1843 at Coatbridge). George died 24 March 1884 in Sacramento, California, USA and was buried at New Helvetia Cemetery, East Lawn, Sacramento. They had 1 child - Janet Johnston. Born 25 November 1841 at Coatbridge. She died 28 November 1914 at Payson, Utah, USA and was buried at Spanish Fork, Utah.

2.8 ) John Johnston. Born 1819 at Old Monkland. Married 2 June 1850 to Agnes Easden (B. 1823).

2.9) Marrion Johnston. Born 28 June 1822 at New Monkland. She died in infancy. See (2.11) below.

2.10) Elizabeth Johnston. Born 1823 at Goberlas. Married 23 October 1841 to William Campbell (B. 1819).

2.11) Marrion Johnston. Born 1 January 1825 at New Monkland. Christened 23 January 1825.

Now you see why I say that his death in 1821 is questionable. If it were so, his wife bore him three children AFTER he died.

That is all I have at the moment. No doubt there is more to be found.

Keith.

Hi Keith

Many thanks for all the info I did have some but you have given me some more that I did not have and will and it in to my tree. I still have an area that is proving difficult and that is the wife of James Johnston. The LDS have her as Elizabeth Newcastle but on her daughters death cert her name is Bethia Ruicastle and I found an entry for her birth 1780 on LDS as being for Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Can you or anyone else help with this? As I also need her parents.

Many Thanks
Heather

KeithS

Hi Heather,

I have done a search using both names in both England and Scotland. The only result is that Elizabeth Newcastle was from old Monkland. There is no corresponding record for that name in England at that time.

There are no records at all for bethia Ruicastle in either Scotland or England. Just because they do not appear in the IGI does not mean that they didn't exist. But, as they have the record for Elizabeth, I think that is almost certainly the correct record. As I have said before, the IGI is nowhere near complete and will take many years to even approach it. So, I would be thinking in terms of getting hold of the Microfilms for the parish registers covering both Old Monkland and New Monkland. That is where your answers are going to be.

Now, as for the disparity of the names. Bethia looks very much like a pet form of Elizabeth to me. And when you look at the names Ruicastle and Newcastle, I would say that Ruicastle was written down under the common problem of spelling as something sounded. It may be that the informant got the name wrong. So, in conclusion, my judgement is that her name was Elizabeth Newcastle and that she was from Old Monkland. The idea that she was from NoT probably came from her name.

Keith.

KeithS

Hi Heather,

I have gathered a little more information for you. Hope some of it will prove useful.

First, James Johnston. Born about 1745. Christened 5 May 1745 at Old Monkland. There is no mention of his parents names in the IGI. So, it is definitely down to the Parish Registers.

Now to the children of James Johnston and Elizabeth Newcastle.

1) James Johnston. Born 1801 at Old Monkland. Married 1826 to Margaret Crawford (B. 1805 Old Monkland). No children shown in the records.

2) Ann Johnston. Born 4 September 1802. No further information in the records.

3) Frances Johnston. Born 1806. No further information in the records.

4) Thomas Johnston. Born 1809. No further information in the records, but must have died in infancy.

5) Thomas Johnston. Born 15 May 1811. No further information in the records.

6) Euphemia Johnston. Born 1814. Married May 1831 to William Gavin (B. about 1806 in New Monkland). They had three children:
i) Janet Gavin. Born 11 July 1832 in New Monkland.
ii) James Gavin. Born 27 August 1838 in New Monkland.
iii) John Gavin. Born 13 April 1843 in New Monkland.
No further information on the children is listed.

7) George Johnston. Born 9 July 1817. He actually married three times:
i) 29 February 1840 to Janet Johnston
ii) 5 January 1845 to Mary Bainbridge (B. 1821 in Old Monkland. D. January 1855)
iii) 1856 to Catherine Granger (B. 12 August 1827 in Edinburgh. D. 2 August 1887 in Sacramento).
No children to any of the marriages are listed in the records.

8 ) John Johnston. Born 1819. Married 2 June 1850 to Agnes Easdon (B. 1823). No children listed in the records.

9) Marrion Johnston. Born 28 June 1822. No other records, but must have died in infancy.

10) Elizabeth Johnston. Born 1823. Married 1841 to William Campbell. No children listed in the records. Elizabeth was also known as Bethia. So, it looks like a family "pet" form of Elizabeth. See my previous message.

11) Marrion Johnston. Born 1 January 1825. No other records.

That seems to be all I can get for you.

Keith.

Hi Keith

Once more I have to thank you for all the extra information that you have given me this will centainly keep me busy. I apprceiated all your help and once you have my thanks.

Heather

KeithS

Hi Heather,

You are very welcome. I enjoyed doing it. Just wish I could have provided more information than I did. :)

Keith.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Scottish Genealogy Roots 14