• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Johona IRISH HELP PLEASE!!!

Can you give any more info please, as to date and place of birth. Also what name it should be, with correct spelling.

Steve.:)
Hi Steve
I have a birth certificate of my grandfather Edward McCarthy born 1880 Covent Lane Listowel County Kerry. Fathers name John McCarthy mother JOHANNA Heffernan. On the 1901 census of Ireland I have found my grandfather aged 20 years mother recorded as JOHONA. The information I have found regarding the family indicate this could be his family. I would be grateful for any information.
Thanks AuntMary

Hi
Butting in 'cause I see Steve's not on line and you are..
If you bear in mind that a lot of peolpe could not read or write, so the emunerator wrote down what he heard. Depending on how the person spoke depends what was written, and the person wouldn't know if that was right or wrong. Sometimes it was not even the person involved who gave the info, so that leaves it open to all sorts of mis-spellings wrong ages etc. So I would say your on to the right person.
Just imagine an Irish man saying Johanna. no offence meant.

dave

Hi Dave
This ?ancestor of mine did sign the census form that's what made me think there was an Irish spelling of the name or something else I was missing. I am having a great deal of trouble trying to locate the family of this particular relative. With a name like McCarthy in that particular area I thought there would be loads of info. Thanks for your comments
AuntMary