• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Joseph Dann

Hello Every one (& every two, in case I left you out!). I am trying to trace the Dann family from Nottingham. Namely Joseph Dann and I do not know who he married! what I do know is they sired 6 children, Ernest, Alfred, Frederick, Kitty,Rose & Polly Dann. Joseph Dann may have been a tailor by trade(?) in Notties. There may be a "story" or a link that Joseph Dann's father (name unknown) married an Osbourne. He was a coachman for a Lady Osbourne & yep, he married the Osbourne's daughter! I just think this "keeping the name in the family" stuff is awful, way too confuzzing! So all out there who want little tweenies, call them anything, but NOT your name, shame!

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Every one (& every two, in case I left you out!). I am trying to trace the Dann family from Nottingham. Namely Joseph Dann and I do not know who he married! what I do know is they sired 6 children, Ernest, Alfred, Frederick, Kitty,Rose & Polly Dann. Joseph Dann may have been a tailor by trade(?) in Notties. There may be a "story" or a link that Joseph Dann's father (name unknown) married an Osbourne. He was a coachman for a Lady Osbourne & yep, he married the Osbourne's daughter! I just think this "keeping the name in the family" stuff is awful, way too confuzzing! So all out there who want little tweenies, call them anything, but NOT your name, shame!
Hi M and welcome

Have you any dates to go with the names.

Steve.:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is a marriage for a Joseph Dann 1849, 4 brides are listed and one of the brides name is Rosetta Osborne district Basford, county Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire.

1851- looks like Joseph and Rosetta name transcribed as Dunn (looks like Dann on census image)

Civil parish Nottingham St Mary
Registration district Nottingham
Sub registration district St Ann

Joseph Dann head age 27 occ tailor/journeyman born Wilburton Cambridgeshire
Rosetta wife age 22 occ -----maker born Notts
Mary Deen? sister in law age 26 born Notts
Elizabeth Osbourne sister in law age 23 born Notts
Frances? Dann dau age 11 either weeks or months born Notts

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Marmont
Found in 1891 census. Nottingham. Parish St.Mary ED 14.

William Dann b. c1858 Chard Somerset.
Elizabeth Dann b. c1861 " "
Children-
Bertie Nottingham b.1882
Joseph " b.1884
Elizabeth " b.1887
Rosina " b.1889
???? Dann " b.1891 4 days old. Not named.

Plus 1881 census.

Joseph b. cambridgeshire
Rosetta Dann b. Nottingham.

Catherine
James
mary J.
Frederick
Ernest.

Living at 11. Northumberland Terrace. St.Mary. ED 24

1901 census ED 50 House schedule No. 206
plus children:-

Ada, May and Edith

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
thank you for the quick response, I see I am not the only one sitting up late at night! Can give u some info on Joseph Dann's kids -
1.Ernest Dann married Amelia Burton on 31 January 1891, @ 21yrs old
2. Amelia married above @18yrs of age
3.Ernest Dann of 12 Eastville St.
4. Ernest dann's father = Joseph dann
4.Amelia lived on 4 Roden St. (? not too clear..)
5. Amelia Burton's father = Edward Burton - hosiery maker.
6. Makes Ernest dann, born 1870 (?)
I gather this all took place in Notties ( Notts)
mmmm.... after this lot the plot thickens, but the confuzz is that Ernest has a boy & yep, names him Ernest!!!! but we must 1st clear up this lot so everyone, please sit with a good cuppa chow, ceylon preferably and see what comes up. Oh life is so good and full of "presents in a box" Enjoy til later!
martine dann

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
I cant find anything on Amelia pre 1891 or her father, there is a birth for a Amelia Burton year 1874 district Nottingham in the Jul/Aug/Sept 1/4 the birth certificate will reveal who her parents are!

Hello all,
Thank you to all, I am sitting down and you are SO fortunate to have all this information at you fingertips (we are really in the backwoods in South Africa, nothing is easy here, even if you are entitled to it!) But hey "we got sunshine hey, hey"
Luverly that we have Joseph Dann married Rosetta Osborne is this where I need dates..? because that is all I know, I have no idea who Joseph Dann's parent were or his siblings. A story goes that Rosetta Osborne was the daughter of a "Lady" Osborne. But Joseph dann was a tailor not a coachman, perhaps he made suits for Sir Osborne...? Now there is a Dann trait here people. The men usually get the girlfriend pregnant. They usually end up having at least one illigit. child. As in the case of Joseph's son - Ernest Dann (married Amelia Burton in 1891), their 1st born was Rose Dann b 1886 Quorn, Leicestershire, (who married a Harry Carver, 1910), so they had a child for 5 years before they married. This makes grandad Dann 16 years old when he sired a daughter yeesh! the poor man, I DREAD to think of Amelia's (nee Burton) age! Well, when its all pieced together, I will tell you the WHOLE story, makes for interesting reading, but then again, dont all family.. we only search the tree, because we know there were antics a goin on....:

Mr. Holmes

Hi there. I am the grandson of Kitty Boswell nee Dann.