• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Judith Scarfe who wed Richard Titshall.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have been looking for her for a few years now and she wed Richard Titshall in 1748. She said he was 23 at the time so born c1725. I have not been able to find a Judith born 1720-1730 anywhere. Yet I found one born in 1732 in Hopton in Suffolk, not near Gorleston but near Thetford on the other side of the county. Daughter of Edward and Mary Scarfe. I am wondering if she is my woman. She had a brother Stephen born 1734 who wed a Jane Lock in Barningham which is where Richard Titshall did his apprenticeship.

I wonder if this is my woman although her age is quite a way out to her stated age in 1748 as 23. She would really have been about 16 or 17 then if that is the right Judith Scarfe. Food for thought.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Couples frequently lie about their ages. either because they weren't old enough to get married without parental consent and other times when the woman has knocked years off her age to cover up she is older than her partner.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
And back then you did not need proof of baptism.

I am sure the Judith Scarfe born in 1732 in Hopton is the right one. They seemed to have lived in Barningham later on where Stephen Scarfe married.

An Edward Scarfe wed Mary Walton in 1728 in Stanton near to Hopton. Richard and Judy (not Madeley :2fun:) had their first child in 1750.