• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Just cant find him

gibbo

Loyal Member
I have a ancester i just simply cant find. I do know he was in Australia and i have checked everything i can think of. Checked the electoral register, trade directories, BMD reg offices in Qld and NSW, State Library, State Archives, local councils, passenger lists, libraries, cemeteries and heritage centres and nothing. Is there any where i may have missed on where to search? Or maybe sometimes we just cant find them regardless. Any advice would be appriecated. thanks

gibbo

Kerrymac

Hi Gibbo,
:) you don't say when you think your relative was in Australia or whether he was born there.But you could try the immigration service records, employment records, if you know the area-search through trade directories.Possibly also national service records, military and transport records, if he worked for public services.All long shots, if you don't have the precise details. But you never know,sometimes info turns up out of the blue, where you least expect it.Happy hunting:biggrin: Kerrymac.

Hi Gibbo
Before I retire, just wanted to say " Don't give up ". They will be there somewhere depending on what year they lived , they have to be somewhere !!

My friend looked for 11 years for a marriage, and where did he find it, sitting next to him was me. I heard an aunt of Chris mention her name the following weekend, and lo and behold he was a 3rd cousin of my husband. I had sat next to him for 2-3 years at a Family History class.!!!!

There is hope for us all

Maddie

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi All
I have just about checked everywhere. Death records, directories, electoral registers, passenger lists, historical newspapers, state library, state archives etc
His name is William Gibson. William had a son named George and on George's australian marriage cert. it states parents names as William and Sussanah Gibson. It also states George's birth place as Middlesex in 1830. I also have George's death cert. dated 1892. and it states he had been in Australia for 52 years at the time of his death therefore George would have been 10 when arriving in australia, assuming because of his age he would have travelled with parents hence believing William and Susannah would have been in Australia.
There are a lot of William Gibson's in Australia especially the death index but this is of no use as i do not know William's parents names to obtain the correct death cert.
im going in circles {bit like your circus Lee} I have some more info on the way that i ordered last week on George Gibson, got the fingers crossed it might help lead to something on his parents.

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo
Before I retire, just wanted to say " Don't give up ". They will be there somewhere depending on what year they lived , they have to be somewhere !!

My friend looked for 11 years for a marriage, and where did he find it, sitting next to him was me. I heard an aunt of Chris mention her name the following weekend, and lo and behold he was a 3rd cousin of my husband. I had sat next to him for 2-3 years at a Family History class.!!!!

There is hope for us all

Maddie
I think this one is a bit of a challenge Maddie. Apparently no one has gotten passed this stage with this line of the Gibson's.

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Well Gibbo...obviously goin to be tough..we will all do our best to help.
Thanks Lee
Nothing like a good challenge! I think i may need some help with him but im determined he will be found. He has to be somewhere, and there will be some type of record with him on, just a matter of finding the right lead to get there. All in good time, as they say.
thanks

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
http://www.gjenvick.com/CunardLine/PassengerLists/1912-11-23-Carmania.html

Hi Gibbo...a MASTER G Gibson looks to be there with a Mrs Sarah Gibson....maybe Williams Sister,just a guess...thinking 1840 is the year as he was ten as you say......Maybe William and Susanah joined them later.
I have wondered if maybe his parents died in england and George might have come out with other family, im going to check out the convict side of things as well, as some who where sent here, their family followered at a later date. On George's marriage cert. it states William's occupation as jeweller, but this hasnt helped any neither.
The file i have ordered from the state archives has to do with land selection. George apparently had applied and was granted this through the government and im hoping it might state parents names, exact date of arrival or some other info that may give me a lead. I did obtain George's will but besides interesting reading there was no mention of other family names that could lead to something.
Thanks

gibbo

malakarose

I have a ancester i just simply cant find. I do know he was in Australia and i have checked everything i can think of. Checked the electoral register, trade directories, BMD reg offices in Qld and NSW, State Library, State Archives, local councils, passenger lists, libraries, cemeteries and heritage centres and nothing. Is there any where i may have missed on where to search? Or maybe sometimes we just cant find them regardless. Any advice would be appriecated. thanks

gibbo
Hi Gibbo,
have you tried gooogle trove nla. newspaper search bit of a fiddle but good. or
http/home.iprimus.com.au/turtle. cheapest for certs. and good genie search.
cheers Rose

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo,
have you tried gooogle trove nla. newspaper search bit of a fiddle but good. or
http/home.iprimus.com.au/turtle. cheapest for certs. and good genie search.
cheers Rose
Hi Rose,
I have tried the NLA newspapers and as he has a common name its hard to know if any of them are him. I will try the other one you mentioned tho. I have contacted a lot of people reseaching this family and not one of them has gotten passed where i am with it. According to his son's Australian marriage cert. this fella's employment was stated as jeweller, even that hasnt helped any. Thank you

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Rose, i just tried that other site you put on for me and its the same as i found the other week, good site to, but i have had no luck with finding my fella in any of the sites on there. Actually i have put it in favourites to keep for any other research i do. Thanks for the tips tho :biggrin:

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo
Just a thought - maybe he could've been shipped over as a convict? Or his dad was one? Just a thought??
Karen
Hi Karen,
i have checked that out and those with the same name dont match up, got a couple more to go through tho. Think i have just about covered everything i can think of for now. I was thinking of a paid researcher to see if they can find him but nah that would take the fun out of it and wouldnt be the same as me finding him :rolleyes: :2fun: :2fun:
Thanks Karen.

Yes we all know how you like a good mystery! Let us know if and what you find. I wish I could help but as you said, no-one else has been able to go back any further. Plus I am not as experienced as you are so you have probably covered more bases than I would have even thought of :biggrin:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Yes we all know how you like a good mystery! Let us know if and what you find. I wish I could help but as you said, no-one else has been able to go back any further. Plus I am not as experienced as you are so you have probably covered more bases than I would have even thought of :biggrin:
Experienced? I stumble my way through most of it :2fun: :2fun:
I do appreicate the suggestion tho so if you think of anywhere else that might be worth checking out just let me know. thanks:biggrin: