• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Just come back from Southend.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

I have learned not to trust transcripts as I have found a few ancestral events in the originals that I didn't find in the NBI or online transcripts.

Ben

Gerard

First Law of Research. Do not trust transcriptions or the information therein contained, they are only a guide...wherever possible check the primary source. Even when checking a primary source always remember that the information might be incorrect, plenty examples of that in original PRs and BMD certificates. Try to substantiate information from more than one source.

Prior to 1911 UK Census returns are NOT a primary source.

Cheers,

Gerard

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Ben

I totally agree with Gerard.

Some of us oldies did our research before the days of the Internet, and we had to go and dig out the Parish Records wherever they were , otherwise you had to employ a reputable researcher to do the work.

The originals are the best source, the others give you the hints that hopefully lead you to the right place

Good luck with your searches

Maddie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
When I was in England last year, there were two transcribers from my family history society at work at the archives.
The woman was studying the the micro fiche films with a fine tooth comb, and as she read out the details, her partner was entering it all on a data base, and he read back what she had told him to confirm.
Every little scap of info was noted. She was also looking through a little hand held magnifying glass.

Mind you, when I asked what year she was looking through........she replied......"1643".
Now thats dedication.

Yes Ben, nothing like your own eyes to get what you want.O0

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes never trust transcriptions.

I have found a new Burchill line in Essex. The Canewdon transcripts I found at the Society Of Genealogists didn't list the marriage but the originals did in January 1801. Jeremiah Hurrell wed Elizabeth Burchill. Elizabeth lived to 1851 and on the 1851 census she said she was born in Wethersfield. Luckily she lived just enough to see the 1851 census as she died months later.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B FHUK General Chat Room 2
J Help for Names or Surnames 3