• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Kavanagh

My Maternal Grandfather Hubert Bruce Kavanagh was born 01/01/1889 in Ireland,unfortunately and to me unbelievably it is not known wether he was born in the north or Eire in the South,there is no one left alive in my family who can help me with this,and Hubert died aged 64 in 1953,8yrs before i was born.
My mother thought he came from Northern Ireland,fought in WW1,and was discharged after being gassed and never returned to Ireland.An Aunt of mine however was sure he came over from Southern Ireland when he was approx 3 with his father and Brother and that they lived for a while in London,two very different opinions!! I have been unable to trace any military records for him,12 yrs ago i applied to both Dublin and Belfast for his birth cert,neither could trace him.
The only real documentation i have is a copy of his marriage cert,this took place 23/08/1921 at the Register Office in Ashby De La Zouch Leics to my Grandmother Florrie Redfern,his age is given as 32,a bach,profession is a hosiery seller,residence is New Street Oakthorpe (same address as his bride) Fathers name is Terence Kavanagh (deceased) profession Farmer.My Mother and Aunt did agree that he met Florrie whilst she was in service in Leicester,the fact that he was a travelling salesman probably confirms this.The only other fact they agreed on was that a brother of Hubert was named John or Stanley or John Stanley?
If anyone has any thoughts on where i can go next,please let me know thanks Neil.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Irish Genealogy Roots 9
A Travel and Migration 5
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 35
C WWII Ancestry 0