• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Kavanagh

My gr-grandfather was born in 1848 in Ireland and his father was Patrick. That is all I know until he is shown in 1871 as a boarder in a house in Birkenhead, Cheshire along with his soon-to-be wife, Elizabeth Smith, (also a boarder). She was born c 1849 in Kings County, Ireland. Her father was John Smith and unfortunately I cannot find any more information re either of my gr-grandparents before this date. They married in 1872 and had 7 children and I have all the info. from that date. It was rumoured that James may have been from Wexford.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

The two questions that are usually asked before a search can begin:

Do you know what religion the family was?

Do you have a Townland/Parish or at least a County for the family?

Dave

I know the family was Roman Catholic but that is the whole problem in that I do not know where James wass born in any way at all. Other than his father was Patrick and that he was deceased at the time of James' marriage in 1872. I know that my gr-grandmother was born in Kings County (now Offaly) and that her father was John Smith and that he also was deceased before 1872. These are the only facts I know.

Hi there,
Did this Patrick & Elizabeth end up in Canada - if so who and when did your relative arrive?
regards
Val
I think you've got a little confused - Patrick was James' father and as far as I know never left Ireland. James left and lived in Birkenhead, Cheshire from 1871 to c 1885 - which is when he disappeared from any records and HIS wife Elizabeth Smith Kavanagh was shown in the 1891 UK census as widowed. I'm the only one of the descendents living in Canada.

romany rose

Valued Member
Hello
There are several trees on Ancestry that relate to your family of Kavanagh`s
but I also found this and am almost certain by the process of elimination that this is PATRICK Kavanagh
leaving Birkenhead for California
but jumped over board(sorry) 17/10/1886
also
Elizabeth Kavanagh nee Smith -death Birkenhead 1900
Romany Rose x

romany rose

Valued Member
Patrick Cavanagh,born Ireland birth year 1847,registration year 1887 4-July 1/4
aged 40,registration district of Stockport,inferred county of Cheshire
volume 8a page 28
Romany Rose x

Patrick Cavanagh,born Ireland birth year 1847,registration year 1887 4-July 1/4
aged 40,registration district of Stockport,inferred county of Cheshire
volume 8a page 28
Romany Rose x
This is definitely NOT a relation of mine - they all lived in Birkenhead, Cheshire - at that time getting to Stockport would have been quite difficult. Angela

Hello
There are several trees on Ancestry that relate to your family of Kavanagh`s
but I also found this and am almost certain by the process of elimination that this is PATRICK Kavanagh
leaving Birkenhead for California
but jumped over board(sorry) 17/10/1886
also
Elizabeth Kavanagh nee Smith -death Birkenhead 1900
Romany Rose x
The Elizabeth Kavanagh record is correct BUT the Patrick is not here husband - his name was James - his FATHER was Patrick but he was dead at their marriage in 1872. Surprisingly no-one else in the descendants of James and Elizabeth used the name of Patrick over the following generations. Mostly James, John, William and Thomas and a combination of 2 at a time - my father being John James - his father William.