• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Kingsley Austen

I am trying to help an elderly lady trace her brother Kingsley Austen who was born in Bromley, Kent September 24th 1934, went to Beckenham-Penge Grammar School and later joined the Navy as a Radio Electrician, serving on the RRS John Biscoe and HRS Shackleton in Antartica. He was last heard of approx 40 years ago when he went to live in Brisbane, Australia. She is desperate to know what happened to him.

Any help or advice on where we should look would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Lucy

Hi Lucy

welcome

to the forum

we have some great guys & gals on here from Aus, with access to some great info sites. They'll be in the land of nod at the moment so lets hope someone can help when they sign in.

I don't know if this will be of interest. ITV are looking for people who are looking for living relatives
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=19103&referrerid=13115

dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lucy,

welcome to FHUK.

So far I've found no mention of a Kingsley AUSTEN. I've checked for Austin as well in all the usual places, in Queensland only so far- Electoral Rolls, BMD, death index, cemetery records, Ryerson, newspapers, etc. Some of the on-line indexes only go to 1954 and the BMD to 1964 so it's difficult finding people who died between 1964 and about 1990.

There are a few sites I don't have access to that may have some info on Kingsley.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you so much CP. I was wondering how I would go about finding out for definite that this is her brother before I break the bad news. Do death certificates include anything like parents names? I'd love advice from you experts! I'd also be interested in any living relatives he has.

I'm sorry to be such a pain but I've only put on my research hat to try and help out an old lady!

Lucy

Hi Lucy

http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/search.php

KARRAKATTA CEMETERY Western Australia
First Name KINGSLEY
Last Name AUSTEN
KC00159704
Aged (Years) 70 Date of Death 16/11/2004
Suburb NEDLANDS

Home page
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/default.php

cheers
cp

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lucy,

On line deaths index only goes to 1966. What the death certificate contains depends very much on who the informant was. It's possible there is no information re parents. Copies of recent ones are also not easy to obtain.

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/A/application_forms.aspx?uid=9700-1192-2181-1982

Death certificates are available to the spouse (including defacto partner), parents or children. (Evidence of relationship is required in all cases).

ID Requirements
Photocopies of your ID are required with your application. See Identification Requirements on attached instruction page.

Useful Contacts

Births, Deaths & Marriages
Level 10, Westralia Square, 141 St Georges Terrace, PERTH WA 6000 or PO Box 7720 Cloisters Square PERTH WA 6850
Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: ( 08 ) 9264 1599
Email: bdm@justice.wa.gov.au (Emailed queries seeking information already provided on our website will not be answered)

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Lucy :)
Good results here from the peeps.
If you would like me to visit grave, with camera, at Karratta Cemetery, just let me know.
I live in West Oz and would be more than happy to do this.
Application code doesn't list the grave but I'll ring before hand.
It could be where the ashes were laid??
Cheers
Ozn

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, if you would do that for me Ozn I would be so grateful. I've been racking my brains this morning thinking of my next course of action. I don't want to upset the lady involved unless I have further info. Perhaps the grave might have surviving relatives on it or exact birthdate?

Again, I would be so grateful if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you. You are very generous to make such an offer.

Best regards
Lucy

Hi Lucy :)
Good results here from the peeps.
If you would like me to visit grave, with camera, at Karratta Cemetery, just let me know.
I live in West Oz and would be more than happy to do this.
Cheers
Ozn

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lucy and Ozn,

I know the age at death is a good fit but two things worry me. Why Western Australia and the fact there are dozens of AUSTENs in WA in the early 1900s with some on the 1903 Electoral Roll for example.

KC00159704
The C means cremation.

I can find no reference in the newspapers to 1954 of a Kingsley AUSTEN so that is a good sign.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lucy,

A web site has an index of births in England and looking at place of birth and matching maiden name of mother it's possible to find the siblings.

Now that your user name has turned green the PM (Personal Message) system is available to you and any details of living persons should be placed in a PM and not in the open forum.

Regards,

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
juliejtp Marriages 5
DaveHam9 WW1 Ancestry 8
D Coats of Arms & Heraldry 2
leefer FHUK General Chat Room 8