• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Laurence CONWAY

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Marriage 3230/1866 CONWAY LAWRENCE - WHITTLE SARAH - WAGGA WAGGA * 7 Mar 1866

Death 5525/1915 CONWAY LAURENCE 82 YRS WAGGA WAGGA WAGGA WAGGA * 31 May

I don't have an arrival for Laurence. Seems he came from Co Antrim.

Also don't know if his parents also arrived and died in NSW.

Dave

Laurence ConwayYear 1861 British Trident
New South Wales Australia Occupation Farm Laborer Age 25Birth year 1836
Nationality/where born Toom, Antrim
Arrival date 07 Jan 1861

Thanks Ellie.

No film for 'Inspection on Arrival' which would give the names of his parents and if still living as of 1861.

Dave

This NSW baptism is curious. But it's a volume I can't look up on film at any library.

Bap V1835536 126/1835 CONWAY LAURENCE - HENRY - ELLEN

Dave

There may be a Deposit Journal.

Another single male from Toom.

CONWAY Toul 22 'British Trident' 1861 Sydney Reel 2139, [4/4796]

But can't find a marriage or death in NSW index.

Dave

LaurenceLast name ConwayBirth year 1835Registration year 1835Denomination Roman CatholicRegistration district Sydney, St Mary'sState New South WalesCountry AustraliaFather's first name(s) HenryMother's first name(s) EllenRegistration number -Volume reference V1835536 126Record set New South Wales BirthsCategory Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish RecordsSubcategory Civil BirthsCollections from Australasia
Not finding a bapts for the Antrim one

Thanks Ellie.

That's RC St Mary's Cathedral Sydney. Those parish records are on film at the Mitchell Library in Sydney. So I can look it up one day.

Dave

There is only 1 death in NSW of a Laurence Conway,so I don't know what happened to the 1855 emigrate.The emigration for him is not opening so I,ve reported it ,but nothing will happen tonight.

The Catholic Press (Sydney, NSW : 1895 - 1942)
Thu 17 Jun 1915
Mr. Lawrence Conway.
The death occurred suddenly on the night of May 31 of Mr. Lawrence Conway, a very highly respected resident of the Forest Hill district, at the venerable age of 82 years. He arrived in Wagga about 60 years ago, and engaged in farming, subsequently securing land near Forest Hill, where he resided up till the time of his death, with the exception of a few years spent in Wagga. He was a widower, and leaves five sons, all farmers in the district, and three daughters, one of whom is the wife of Constable Brownlee, of i^anmain. The remains were laid to rest in the Catholic portion of the Wagga cemetery, the funeral being attended by a large number of friends and prominent residents of the town and district. The Iast rites were performed by the Very Rev. Monsignor Buckley, P.P.— R.I.P.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/105001519

Thanks Ellie.

Conway Laurance Age 76 16/05/1911 SEC*M2*M**54 Burial

So that fits 1835. But we have 3x now or 2x if parents are wrong on this death.

Death CONWAY LAWRENCE 5757/1911 JAMES - NANCY - GRANVILLE * 14 May

Dave

Last edited:
Laurence Conway. The deceased lady had
been a much respected resident of the
Wagga district for upwards of 40 years.
She was 60 years of age at the time of her
death, and was the eldest daughter of Mr.
William Wittel, who is at present alive and
residing in Wagga. She was born in
Dorsetshire, England, and has been in the
colony for 44 years Mrs. Conway was ill a
short lime back and was attended to by Dr.
Leahy, after which she recovered. Another
attack followed, and when Dr. Leahy was
summoned to attend her prior to her decease
he saw there was no hope of saving her life,
this opinion was confirmed by Dr. Burgess,
Fix this textwho was called in for consultation purposes.
Death took place on Thursday night, the
immediate cause being bronchitis. De-
ceased leaves 8 children, 5 sons and 3 daugh-
ters. The funeral will leave Gumly
Gumly this afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Thanks Ellie.

3230/1866 CONWAY LAWRENCE - WHITTLE SARAH - WAGGA WAGGA * 7 Mar 1866

St Michael's Catholic Church ? - Can't find a notice in Trove

I've been trying to find the parents of that one and see if they died in Ireland or NSW but seems we have no luck there. No second shipping film for 1861 arrival so no way of knowing if parents were in Ireland or if there were any relatives in NSW. I think they were because I believe there is a Deposit Journal for Laurence and maybe 'Toul' on 'British Trident' 1861.

Dave

Last edited:
NSW Deposit Journal for 19 March 1860 – sponsor Henry Griffin

Michael Conway 27 farm lab Co Antrim Ireland with wife Mary 22 and a bit lower down so could be brothers of Michael is Lawrence Conway 24 farm lab from same and a ToolTorl age 22

found a tree..

Laurence b 1835 Bracknamuckly Portglenone Antrim to Owen Conway 1810 - ? & Nancy McEwen, his brother Toul = Owen b 1838 – 13 Sept 1904 – married 1876 Wagga to Ellen Mary Conner 1846 - 1881

brother Michael b 1833 married 15 Jan 1858 Ahoghill Antrim to Mary Cannovan 1838 – 1899 and he died 17 March 1874 Wagga

death for Michael – Wagga Express Sat 21 March 1874

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/... &searchLimits=l-state=New+South+Wales|||l-decade=187

Thanks Val.

So it's not the father who was here first to make the deposit. Don't know how Henry Griffin fits in.

CONWAY MICHAEL 8122/1874 OWEN NANCY - WAGGA WAGGA

They are probably brothers.

Dave

Last edited:
Back