• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lavinia CLARKE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

V1838410 75/1838 CLARKE JAMES R - WOODLEY LAVINIA M JB= Presbyterian St Andrew's Sydney

I, J. R. Clarke do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Presbyterian Church [signed]
I,
I, The Revd. John McGarvie of Sydney, Minister of St. Andrews' Church, there, do hereby certify that James Richard Clarke, Bachelor of Viewforth near Sydney, Carpenter and Lavinia Matilda Woodley, of the same place, Spinster, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twenty first August 1838 at Viewforth as aforesaid, by Banns, in the presence of Robert Woodley, Eliza Woodley both of Sydney.
Parties signed. [signed] John McGarvie Minister

Death 1857/1860 CLARKE JAMES R - JOHN - SUSANNAH - BALMAIN

Looking for a death for Lavinia.

Thanks.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think I have another convict - Lavinia's father Robert. :biggrin:

Mother = Elizabeth HOOPER

Bap V18236105 1B/1823 WOODLEY LAVINIA M - ROBERT - ELIZABETH

Robert arrived 1817 from Devon.

Title: Robert Woodley, one of 250 convicts transported on the Larkins, 24 July 1817.
Details: Sentence details: Convicted at Devon Assizes for a term of 14 years on 19 March 1817.
Vessel: Larkins.
Date of Departure: 24 July 1817.
Place of Arrival: New South Wales.
Source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/2, Page Number 358

WOODLEY Robert Larkins 1817 31/0176 22 Mar 1831 Certificate of Freedom [4/4304; Reel 987]

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Oh. Error in the index with mother not = Elizabeth:

Death 1535/1870 CLARKE LAVENIA M - ROBERT - LAVENIA M - BALMAIN

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
V18236105 1B/1823 WOODLEY LAVINIA M - ROBERT - ELIZABETH

Baptised 1823 February 9 - Lavinia Matilda - Robert & Elizabeth Woodley When Born: January 1 1823 - St. Philip CofE Sydney

RE Lavenia / Lavinia Clarke nee Woodley
Lavinia was my 3rd Great grandmother. She died 19th April 1870 in Sydney aged 48 yrs and was buried at Camperdown Cemetery that no longer exists. Her father was Robert Woodley who was a convict and her mother was Elizabeth Hooper though her death certificate give her own name as mother. A mistake as everything else has Elizabeth.
cheers Cia:)

Hello,

V1838410 75/1838 CLARKE JAMES R - WOODLEY LAVINIA M JB= Presbyterian St Andrew's Sydney

I, J. R. Clarke do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Presbyterian Church [signed]
I,
I, The Revd. John McGarvie of Sydney, Minister of St. Andrews' Church, there, do hereby certify that James Richard Clarke, Bachelor of Viewforth near Sydney, Carpenter and Lavinia Matilda Woodley, of the same place, Spinster, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twenty first August 1838 at Viewforth as aforesaid, by Banns, in the presence of Robert Woodley, Eliza Woodley both of Sydney.
Parties signed. [signed] John McGarvie Minister

Death 1857/1860 CLARKE JAMES R - JOHN - SUSANNAH - BALMAIN

Looking for a death for Lavinia.

Thanks.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Cia and welcome to the Forum

Thank you very much for the details. The family is in my tree by marriage to a NEWBERY but well off any of my main lines.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave, you're welcome. I am new to the forum and still finding my way round. The Clarkes were an interesting family and at one time James and his eldest brother John Jn owned most of Hunters Hill in Sydney. Clarkes point on the river at Hunters Hill is named for them. They also built the only two remaining historic houses from the mid 1800's in the area. Viewforth, where James and his younger brother William, were both married on the same day. The other house is Woodstock. William incidentally married John Jns' step daughter Charlotte Webster whose mother of the same name was married to John Jn. By the early 1900's the properties had passed from their ownership probably to divide proceeds between beneficiaries I expect.
cheers Cia:)redf)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Cia,

Thanks for some info on that Clarke family. I have by chance four different Clarke families in my tree, the others being from Co Down Ireland, Wiltshire and Yorkshire. None of them on a direct line though.

Regards,

Dave