• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lawley births

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi List,

I have something of a mission impossible for you.

The 1841 Census for Gloucestershire has two brothers Charles Lawley aged 10 (born c1831) and Henry Lawley aged 6 (born c1835) as inmates in the Charlton Kings Workhouse. The entry states that they were NOT born in the county.

Subsequent Censuses for Henry state that he was born in Cheltenham. Charles unfortunately died in 1850 so does not appear on any other Census.

Someone has checked the Gloucestershire baptism records CD for me and Charles and Henry Lawley are not on it so it looks as though Henry got it wrong and the 1841 Census entry was correct, they were not born in Gloucestershire.

If anyone has access to any Baptism records for the period 1830 to 1837 could they please have a look for Charles and Henry for me. They don't appear on the IGI and I am stuck as to where to look next.

Many thanks in advance for your time

Emeltee

gedcom

Hi Emeltee

Have you contacted the Gloucestershire Archives to see if any records for the workhouse admissions for this time period survive. Might be worth a shot.

Gedcom

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Do you know when Henry Lawley married and to whom?

If Henry lived in Cheltenham from a young age, he may well have thought that he was born there, hence giving Cheltenham as his birthplace.

Do you know if that Gloucestershire baptism database is complete?

FindMyPast has a burial which could have been Charles and Henry's father:-

LAWLEY Charles Died 1841 Born about 1787 Gloucestershire National Burial Index

Ben

emeltee

Loyal Member
Henry Lawleu married Jane Archer in Cheltenham in1856. The cert gives his father's name as Henry, a Coachman. it does not state that he is deceased but I cannot find him on any Census. I have been reliably informed that there are no records of a marriage for Henry senior or a death either in Gloucestershire.
Emeltee