• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lawrence Hope marriage - help

DLI

hi all

i Admit im fairly new to all this and im struggling a little bit with a marriage im looking for

i have a Lawrence Hope - Born Nafferton, Yorks (or Bradford) aprrox 1856
in the 1861 census (his age is 5 yo)

he has moved around a lot and when i discovered him in 1891 he is 45 and married and living in the St James Parish ,Stanton, West Hartlepoole, Co.Durham

and this is where my problem begin all i have of his wife at the time is her name
Harriett and that she is 44 on the 1891 census and it says she is from Honiton, Devonshire

on this census they have a duaghter who is 8 years old so by rule of thumb ive looked for the marrige for when they are say 20 yo onwards and i have found nothing at all but when i tried for the 1901 census is show that Harriett has died within the 10 year period

im really stuggling here any guidence would be helpful for the future

Thank you all in Advance
x

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

There is a marriage in 1881 Jul/Aug/Sept district Guisborough.

Bride and grooms listed:-

Harriett Auton
George Hall
Lawrence Hope
Mary Panton

On the 1881 census a Harriett Auton born abt 1857 Honiton Devon is a servant
at 8 Cliff Terrace
Civil parish Hartlepool
Rd Hartlepool
Sub RD Hartlepool

DLI

OMG thank you so much ive been trying to figure this out for nearly 2 weeks now

Do you know where i can find copies of the documents for this info - just tried freebmd and i can find it on there?

Last edited:
Again I say Thank you to you it was the spelling i was doing wrong oops thank you for you patience with me
A little tip, if you have a name like Harriott and you don't know if it has a double T, Put a * instead of the 2nd T, then the search gives you both names. You could also put a ? instead of the o in case the name is Harriet

Also if you're having problems finding a name like Benton try putting a ? instead of the vowels, then names like Bantan Banton etc etc will appear. If you put Ban*, then all names starting with Ban will appear.

To find a marriage try to narrow the date down by census records. then look for a year before the first child was born or as you did, when they were about 19/25. More often the marriage is where the bride lived

When you have two or more possible brides, try finding her under her maiden name the census before the marriage, or with one of the other males the census after. This may narrow it down.

hope this helps you
dave