• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

'Le Gros'

From
England
Hi all, hope you are well.

I wonder if anybody could shed some light on something for me. In my Bisson branch of the family my 4 x great Grandfather John Bisson (1800 - BEF 1881) as well as his family were known as Le Gros Bisson on some of his channel island censuses. Now I know Le Gros means something along the lines of The Big or Large. I just wondered if anybody might know why it would've been added to his name?

Many Thanks
Hayley

Hi thanks for replying.

I haven't managed to get much info on my Bisson family as all I can find on ancestry is the censuses. No BMD records at all. Although with the name Jean and Le Gros and Bisson it could be that they are a few generations earlier than my John Bisson. I'd love to learn more about them as they are a bit different from the norm on my Mum's side, as everyone else are Ag Lab's in Devon!

Back