• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Leading on from poll books question Land register

duckweed

Loyal Member
How would I go about finding the farm and forge my Ancestor owned. I know he lived in the small village of Howbrook outside Wortley in the parish of Ecclesfield near Sheffield. I don't know exactly where. Any idea of how to find his farm? I would love to find the deeds for it.

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Duckweed

I have found various deeds and tithe maps belonging to my Welsh family in the Nat.Lib of Wales. I would think you would need to ask at the local Record office in the area as to whether they hold the tithe maps and information with them, if they do not hold them then ask who does hold them.

I do not know the area well enough to be able to help you precisely, but the local Record office should be able to help you.

They should tell you who owned the land, the acreage, and whether tenanted or not.

Nainmaddie

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have found an Ancestor Moses Teasdale of Howbrook who we think was born in 1700 but can't find a Parish record to confirm. He had a son Moses baptised 1722 Tankersley. I found a Moses in Wortley (All same area) who was in the Poll books for 1741. I'm not sure which Moses is in the poll book but it points to one of them being a Landowner. If the father it might give me some more detail about him as at the moment we don't know when he came to Howbrook. I know there is no record of a Teasdale in the South Yorkshire in the hearth tax of 1697 so I am assuming if Moses Teasdales father lived in Howland he was not a cutler only a farmer.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have seen it but as it doesn't give a place for this marriage so I've no idea if he is related. My Moses married in 1721 in Tankersley to a Maria Cawdwell from Bradfield. She may have been his 2nd wife. I have learned now that a Moses Teasdale is recorded in a grazing dispute in 1712-13. If this is the same Moses and not his father or uncle then our Moses is older than we previously thought and birthdate must be at least in 1690s or maybe earlier. Unfortunately cutler records for that period are in the Cutlers Guild Archive and that does not have open access to its records. The grazing details are in Rotherham while some other details are in Barnsley. Property for South Yorkshire I have learned from 1704 is stored in Wakefield Archives but this may now be earlier than that so which archive do I look at, Rotherham, Barnsley, Sheffield or Wakefield?