• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lees of Clarksfield, Oldham

Nancie55

Does anyone have any ties to the Lees family of Clardsfield who ran a weaving mill there?
I'd greatly appreciate any leads to sites on the internet, that I can check out concerning this family.

Thank you

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nancie, and welcome to FHUK forums.

If you can give us a few more details, I'm sure there'll be someone who can help you.
The more info you reveal, the better chance our merry band can help.

Steve.:)

Nancie55

Hi Steve!
In the late 1700's there were 2 brothers in Oldham, Joseph and John Lees. I believe these brothers and possibly another were involved in the coal and cotton weaving business. Joseph died in 1823 leaving his holdings to his living children and also to the children of his son William who had proceeded him in death. One of these children was named William (this would be the grandson of Joseph Lees). He is the person I am interested in. He was probably born about 1808 or so. His mother's name I believe was Jane. He had a sister Elizabeth but she died as a child. If you google Joseph Lees of Clarksfield you will find his will, which I found very confusing. There is quite a bit of info on John and James Lees of Clarksfield. I am confused as to whom thier father was, Joseph or his brother James. I think that this younger William may have my grgrgrandfather.
Thanks,
Nancie

CJCH

Yes - the Lees family in England continued to live just north of Lancaster untill the early 20th c but have now died out in the direct line. There was a brother who went to Colorado and bought a ranch that is now under a resevoir - there may be some family left there? If you are interested google "three in norway by two of them" by J lees quite a funny book one of them wrote.

Hi

I have checked the Clarksfield Lees tree and William son of William son of Joseph is definetly on it.

His mother was Jane and he had a sister Elizabeth.

I have 8 generations from the bottom William up.

William
william
Joseph
John
Daniel
John
?
John died 1684

Most of William's links are in a disputed will of Radley vs Lees that you can find on Google Books

It is complex as Joseph Lees married 3 times

I have heaps of info on the Clarksfield Lees, appx 200 persons in the tree

The link to my family is at the level of Daniel

The house the Father willaim and Grandfather Joseph lived in is still standing in Oldham.

I was planning actually to see it in a couple of weeks time.

Regards

StJohn Lees

CJCH

St John, I am a decendant of John Lees of Higher Clarksfield of 1814 - 1886.

I think you have John Lees (d.1684) father of James Lees (d.1679) father of John Lees of Clarksfield (d.1724) father of another John (d.1768) who had 4 sons - not sure where a Daniel comes in - ?

Hi CJHC,

Yes you are correct.

I have now found out the link is much further back in the 1630s.

John Lees of Greenacres will of 20th June 1635 had wife Ann

"Eldest Son"; James
Middle Sons; Samuel and Abraham
"Younger Sons"; John and Isaac
daughters; Sarah and Mary

I am related via

John -> Isaac -> Abraham -> Abraham-> Joseph -> Samuel (who set up the Soho Iron Works my gggGF)

This information came from Mr Higson who was carrying out research for Dame Sarah Lees in the 1910s.

However Daniel was some how related to the Clarksfield Lees. I have a record of him being an uncle who made alot of mioney in the mid 1700s.

I have a copy of the Clarksfield Lees Family Tree made in the late 1800s sent to me by the Tamesde Local History Branch.

It is very complicated and as I have noted Joseph married 3 times which really confuses issues.

Regards

StJohn

CJCH

There is a bit of a description in Butterworth's historical scketches of Oldham availiable on googlebooks. In this the name changes to Lezes and a few other spellings in the 17th c. I have a John who dies in 1625 but he married an Elizebeth.

CJCH

There were three brothers John of Clarksfield d.1815 , James of Higher Clarksfield d.1810 and Joseph d.1826 (founder of Clarkfield cotton mill). John`s son sold out to Jame`s sons John of Clarksfield, James of Alkrington and Lees-Milne of Crompton. They were into coal. Joseph had 6 sons and 5 daughters including I think ones Nancie and StJohn Lees are interested in. If so we would share a John Lees of Clarksfield d. 1768 as an ancestor! Hope it helps.

ginger

I am looking for any information about my 8th Great Grandmother Ann Lees b. 1643 in Clarksfield, Married my 8th Great Grandfather John Taylor b. 1640, at St. Mary's, Oldham 29, Nov. 1664. They had one son that I know about Josiah Taylor b. 1669. Thank Ginger