• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Left handers.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
In this strange old world of ours. Evreything seems to be split roughly 50-50, except when it comes to being left handed.

Why is this.:confused:

All answers should not include the word Genetics, please.

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hmmmmmm.!!

'Some say it has to do with the dominant side of the brain. The left side of the brain is the problem solving amd logic side while the right side is the creative side. so the problem solving develops faster for some children because they have to discover there world first and solve problem like how to walk and talk, so maybe thats how most children end up being right handed. then theres the issue of ambidextrose those who have equal use of left and right hands'.

Hmmmmmm.!!

'Some say it has to do with the dominant side of the brain. The left side of the brain is the problem solving amd logic side while the right side is the creative side. so the problem solving develops faster for some children because they have to discover there world first and solve problem like how to walk and talk, so maybe thats how most children end up being right handed. then theres the issue of ambidextrose those who have equal use of left and right hands'.

My old man was a left hander and if the teacher caught him writing with his left hand the teacher would hit him over the knuckles with a ruler.

That was Schools policy of the day, turn lefties into righties

Oz

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
My old man was a left hander and if the teacher caught him writing with his left hand the teacher would hit him over the knuckles with a ruler.

Oz
Left handers were seen as worshippers of the Devil in the past.

I think the Devils were those useless teachers who did that.:mad:

woodlander

Valued Member
I'm not a "true" left hander, I'm right handed for everything until I pick up a pen or hold a phone - anyone would think my right ear didn't work :eek:
I remember being told of children of my mother's generation (she was born 1928) being "corrected" to use the right hand, unnaturally to them, and it was claimed at the time that it caused a lot of nervous reactions like stammers etc.
I had an uncle who was ambidextrous and as a child I tried to copy him - especially when I broke my left arm :rolleyes: but I can always write better when the pen is in my left hand :)

Oz
My infant and junior school used ot do that...which is one of the reasons why I am ambidextrous now! My younger sister(my mums youngest child) and my youngest child are both lefthanded..except during dinner my son will have his knife and fork the same as a right handed person but I think that is 'cos they do it at school and he thinks he has too :(

duckweed

Loyal Member
There are several reasons for left handedness. For some reason there is a strong correlation between red hair and left handed people. It is commoner in males and can be heriditary. I was told that a lot of left handers are formed in the womb due to some minor brain development problem. These people are more likely to have asthma and allergies.

There are several reasons for left handedness. For some reason there is a strong correlation between red hair and left handed people. It is commoner in males and can be hereditary. I was told that a lot of left handers are formed in the womb due to some minor brain development problem. These people are more likely to have asthma and allergies.
Well neither my sister nor my son have asthma allergies or red hair ..so that kills that theory..nor do I or any of our relatives. Being left handed does not mean there is a brain * problem* it simply the brain uses a different function. My son has CP and other things has he has some physical components missing none of which relate to left handedness my sister has no disabilities.