• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Leonard M Eaton 4th Yorkshire Regiment

Serveta

Hi i'm looking for advise on where to start with researching the service records of my Nana's Uncle Leonard Margeston Eaton who served with the 4th Yorkshire Regiment in 1915 as a Private and the Royal Defence Corps in 1917 also as a Private. I have his index card which has his Regiment Numbers so have a good starting point but would like info on who best to contact for actual info re what he did and where he served

Cheers Ron

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi Ron ,
Try contacting your local British legion , they might be able to help especially with the information you already have , and if they can't help perhaps they might be able to point you in the right direction , www.britishlegion.org.uk
also there is an organization called s.s.a.f.a , they help all members of the forces no matter how long they served ,they may be of help to you www.ssafa.org.uk
Hope this helps ,
Regards Sterico O0

ianto73

Valued Member
Hi Ron, another website to look at is:-

ww1.yorkshire.org.uk

I'm not a computer whizz-kid so can't put the link on here.

This website has a variety of pages for you to peruse especially one called "research".

Hope this helps.

Brian

Hi Ron,
Leonards service records are available to view on ancestry.co.uk his service numbers are 5322(2322) and 77749 and did he live at the Bungalow, Great Ayton, if so they are definatly there.
Regards
Tracey

My grandmother Mary Elizabeth Eaton tells me she believes Leonard was in active service but was discharged due to an injury. He had a hole in his back when he came home, from a shrapnel injury. He couldn't walk initially and spent a year in his back. He went to work at British Steel when he recovered, on the furnaces.

My grandmother was married to Leonard Moss Eaton, son of the Leonard you refer to.

I don't have any dates but wonder if that might help you track down more information?

The Eaton Bungalow as it was known is now on land that forms part of 72 Newton Road in Great Ayton. Joseph Britton Eaton lived and ran a business from that land as it was an orchard and market garden. Only part of the original building still exists. It's used as a garage annex/outbuilding now.

Serveta

Thank You Katherine ..

This is what I know re Leonard

Leonard Margeston Eaton was my nana's uncle

Born: 22 January 1895 in Great Ayton, Yorkshire, England

Died: April 1975 in Stokesley, East Cleveland, Yorkshire North Riding, England

Enlisted: 13th November 1915 aged 19

Pte 5322 4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment

Pte 77749 15th Battalion. ( Home Service) Queen's Own. R.D.C.

He was stated as being Very Good Character, Wounded in France ( Shrapnel in his Back ) awarded the Silver War Badge aged 23

served in France 10 June 1916 - 7 November 1916 discharged 2 March 1919 served 3 years 310 days

He was awarded the British War Medal & the Victory Medal.

nana was living at 4 Bradleys Row Califonia Great Ayton with her mother and Martha Eaton nee Lain her grandmother also living there were Leonard, Joseph Britton Eaton and Albert Frank Eaton

Joseph Eaton my 2x great grandfather was a Joiner and is listed as living at the Bungalow, Great Ayton in 1911 although my guess is that he was probably working on the property at the time has he is the only person listed

Joseph, Leonard, and Albert were all Quarryman

I was told by my aunt that Billy and Brian Eaton were cousins of Nana

Rose Ethel Eaton was my great grandmother who's husband left her when my nana was only 1 year old so the Eaton name features very strongly in my research I was led to beleive he was a French Canadian this is not true .. He was from Darlington, County Durham but did move to Canada

Rose was born in Stoke Newington so the South of England bit does makes sense

Joseph Moss Eaton does get a mention in William Lillie’s Book "History of Middlesbrough" 1968

J Moss Eaton was appointed a Superintendent of the Brick and Tile Yard at a wage of £7 per week (1839/40).

Was there any connection with the brickworks & of the cemetery (Dunsdale Road) on the slope towards the beck, always known in my early years as ‘Brickie Eaton’s Bank"

There is a bank just outside of Guisborough named locally as Brickie Eatons Bank which used to lead to the Brick Works.

the 1901 Cencus has Joseph and Martha living at 95 Eatons Cottages

Best Regards Ron