• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lets have fun

Here's another recipe for you Peta, ''Auld Reekie'' ****-a-Leekie soup.
The ''Auld Reekie'' does not refer to the soup being smokey, but to the origins of the recipe in Edinburgh which used to be called Auld Reekie in the days of coal fires.
3lb. boiling chicken ( giblets removed )
3 slices of streaky bacon
1lb shin of beef
2lb leeks
1 large onion
5 fl. ozs. Whisky
4 pints water
1 level teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper

Mix the whisky,tarragon and sugar in the water. Chop up bacon and place the chicken ,bacon and beef in a large bowl and pour over the whisky marinade. Leave to soak overnight. Place tha chicken etc., in a large soup pot, chop up the leeks ( keep one behind ) and, onion and add to the pot, add salt and pepper to taste, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours removing any scum as required.
Remove the chicken from the pot, remove skin and bones, chop into small pieces and return to pot, cut up the beef if required add the last chopped leek and simmer for 10 to 15 mins. At this point you can add 8 pre-soaked prunes ( optional but traditional ). Will serve up to 8 people.
Enjoy, it will as they say ''stick to your ribs''.

Iain

pee wee

Hi Iain,

Thanks Iain. Looks great for a cold winter night. Have heard of ****-a-leekie soup but have never tried to make it. I haven't even had a chance to try your clootie dumpling yet as I have been so busy. We haven't been having dessert. :'(

School starts again next week. Have been running around organising books, school fees etc. It's been a week of hurry up & wait in line. :mad:
It's the Australia Day long weekend this weekend & hubby & daughter have a basketball carnival on so will be chasing round for that as well, as they play different times & daughter has a shift at work in the middle of it all as well. My heads starting to spin with all the different times.

Well thats my bitch session for the day:p got it out of my system now.

Thanks again for the recipe's.
will catch you later

izabel

Staff member
Hi Guys how are you all. The recipies sound yummy - specially the dumpling. Must admit Im intrigued at the whisky in the soup, wonder if you can double that quantity??? Weather is getting me down - around 35 every day with lots of humidity - wish it was winter. Glad to see families all over the world have the same kind of weekends - thought it was just me. Dave you really make me laugh

have a good day

pee wee

Hey Carlo,

I thought Qld weather was beautiful one day, prefect the next. You got to the perfect weather yet? :2fun:

It's been nice here. Mid 20's. Starting to climb slowly though.

Iz.. Don't envy you the humid weather. I always get headaches when it happens here.

Well the school term has started again Yea!! I might actually get my days back for myself again. I feel as I have been only able to flit in & out of here for ages.

Take care all. Will catch you all later.

Hi Guys,
You lot are making me feel quite jealous with the hot weather down under.The temperature reached the dizzy heights of 8 in Edinburgh today, real brass monkey weather and, they say it's to get colder. Roll on the summer we might make it into the 20's.
Cheers from a cold Edinburgh.
Iain

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Another mouth watering recipe

Brawn

1 pig's head, split (by the butcher)
salt and pepper
2 pigs trotters
6 peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 blade mace
3 cloves
1 bouquet garni
shells and whites of 3 eggs

Remove the brains and chip any bone, then brush the teeth and nostrils well with salt, to clean. Rinse, then soak for 3-5 hours in brine (50g salt to each 600ml water). Rinse again, wash trotters and put the head and trotters in a large saucepan. Tie the peppercorns, bay leaf, mace and cloves in muslin and add to the pan with the bouquet garni. Cover with water and season well
Simmer for 4 hours; remove the head and trotters and allow to cool. Remove the tongue and slice; remove all other meat and dice. Return the bones to the stock and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the stock and reduce to 600ml pint by brisk boiling. Add the crushed egg shells and whites. Whisk well and bring almost to the boil. Remove fom the heat just before it reaches boiling point and allow the foam to subside. Repeat this boiling and subsiding twice more. Then strain the foam and stock through absorbent kitchen paper or muslin. Put the chopped meat into a damp 1.25 litre mould, cover with the strain stock and chill to set. Turn out on to a serving dish and slice.

Yummy

Julie

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Sorry to say Julie that that really does not do anything for me - sorry:):)

It probably tastes better than the description - I am sure.

But what do I know - I am a beans on toast kind of guy! :eek:

Though, I guess Peta, Izabel, Carlo and Iaian will like it:)
Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

pee wee

Hi all,

Sorry julie not sure Brawn is to my taste.:( Though it made interesting reading. I can't even remember the last time I saw a pigs head in a butcher.:biggrin:

I like beans on toast as well Dave, don't have it often though.

Happy eating all,

Catch you later

Hi,
Tried Brawn once many years ago, haven't had it since i found out what it was made of. You would need a beer too wash it down though.
Heres another recipe, Haddock Toasties.

6oz (175g) smoked haddock
6 fliud ounces ( 175ml) milk
1/2 oz ( 15g or 2 tablespoons ) plain flour
1oz (25g ) strong hard grated cheese
1 egg seperated into white and yolk
Salt, pepper,ground black pepper
4 slices of toast

Heat the smoked haddock in 150ml of the milk in a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 5 mins or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove the fish with fish slice and flake.
Mix the flour with the rest of the milkand then stir into the milk in saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for 2 mins stirring continuosly until thick. Stir in the cheese egg yolkand flaked fish. Season to taste. Whisk the egg white until it is stiff and fold in with a spoon.
Put toast on a grill and spoon the fish onto each slice of toast. Place under a hot grill until lightly brown, serve immediatly.
This is lovely, i think Dave could rustle this one up.
More recipes to follow.:biggrin:

Cheers Iain

jack

Hi, I am Jackie and live in Westville which is a beautiful leafy suburb in Durban, South Africa.
I have 4 kids, aged 3,4,7 and 9 and they certainly keep me on my toes.
I have been researching for about 8 years on my father's line and got back to the year 1100. I am presently doing 9 family lines, and loving every minute of it. Even though I was not a lover of history at school, I am now an avid history researcher and find all history so interesting.
I search daily and do little bits here and there, whenever the 3 and 4 year olds will give me a gap.
I am a stay at home mom, and have lots of recipes to share. Just let me know what type you looking for.
I love baking, doing my family history, and when i get a chance (which seems to be seldom these days) watercolour painting. My father was a top south african painter, and i must have picked up some of his genes.
I love anything creative and doing art and craft with my 3 girls.
I have been married 12 blissful years to a wonderful man, having gone out with him for 8 years prior to that.
We have just got a jack russell puppy so it has added to the fun in a large family.

Good luck with all your research

Jackie
jackie

iainsanders2

Hi Folks,
Heres another quick meal, Chicken crispy, kids love it.

Fry some chicken pieces,when ready place in a caserole dish and cover with 1 or 2 tins ( depends on how much chicken you have in ) condensed chicken soup, heat.
When ready place on plate and cover with chicken flavored crisps, crushed.

Iain:biggrin:

izabel

Staff member
Hi guys long time no hear. Wel Swine Fever is officially over after 22 months so my hubby is coming home along with 160 long suffering troops. I really didnt think too much of what was happening out there until the tents came back and we started cleaning them and they literally fell apart. If the elements did that to canvas we really need to commend the people who stood under them for nearly two years. How is everyone else - see there is not much movement here - what is happening in yor lives

pee wee

Hi Iz.

Great to see you back.:p Glad the swine fever is over, it did go on for ages didn't it.
I've been quite busy & haven't had much family search time. We go to Melbourne in a few weeks for a B/Ball carnival again. This time my daughter is playing. She goes to Singapore for 10 days at the begining of July, she is really looking forward to it. Not sure if her parents are looking forward to it though.:eek:
The cold weather is starting to settle in here now & the start of the winter sniffles is upon us. We haven't needed a heater yet but I think it's getting close as the nights are requiring warmer jumpers now. (the drought hasn't broken yet though). :'(

Well thats all for now.
Catch you later

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi ya Izabel,

Been on a long haul with that swine fever. Glad it is now sorted.

Well on the 9 May 2007 at 4:02pm my first grandchild was born, weighing in at 7lb 2oz and gorgeous. Her name is Daisy May. I now have a second girl in my life :) Brilliant!

....and the proud grandparents: :)

1 Hour old.
All the best,
Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Iain,

Like riding a bike isn't it!:)

Already changed a few, but having my own lads before (many moons ago) - this is a bit different, I don't think I do a good job with a girl!:) At least with a little lad you can move it around - well without going into detail - you know what I mean!

I am really looking forward to this weekend as they will be down for the bank holiday - so I should get some practice in!

All the best Iain

Cheers,
Dave