• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lets have fun

Since we are all on a family history website for the UK, I would be interested to know what surnames are being researched, or wanting to be researched. Here are some of mine....

Price - Wales
Goodman - Cornwall, England
McRae - Scotland
Taylor - England
Svenssen - Sweden
Logreen - Sweden

amongst a LARGE file of many others I would love to link in to!
Laura

dawnlea

Hi Peeps!! ;D

Sorry to have gone all quiet on you lately. Did you miss me? ::) Been having kind of a bad time lately as I found out my dad has prostate cancer two weeks ago. It's been caught early and they are monitoring him closely - so the world's not ending just yet!! But with work ( I'm a nurse, for the uninitiated!) and everything, the last two weeks have been an absolute b***h. Welcome to Spanglecat (Love the name - wish I'd got there first!) and Laura. Love the muffin recipe Pee Wee, must put it on my 'to do' list!! How's the pig situation in SA, Iz? What do you do if you find someone trying to illegally transport pigs around? Sounds a bit of a 'boar' to me!! :2fun: Oh my god, I'm just hilarious!! Too much frivolity now, my friends - must go and lay down in a dark room!! Byeeeeee!

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Dawn, Great to see you back - thought it was a bit quiet around here :)

Glad to hear the better news for your Dad and that they are monitoring him closely.

Laura, great idea about your Names - Hopefully you have added them all to the "Wanted Names" system here on the site.

I am not really into cooking, as my lovely wife really looks after me to well. Maybe we should have a board on here for recipes??

All the best, :wink:
Dave

izabel

Staff member
Hi Dawn, sorry to hear about your dad - hang in there. At least you still have your wacky sense of humour. This swine fever is nasty. thousands of pigs have been slaughtered so far affecting mostly rural people who really cant afford to lose their livestock. Although they are compensated they cant replace them immediately until the epidemic is over. The really worrying thing is that it affects domestic and wild pig and wild pig have no borders so who really knows how far it has spread in the wild populaion. Remember the foot and mount epidemic. At the road block you can either take the animals back where they came from or they are destroyed on the spot.

spanglecat

Hi
First of all to Dawn - sorry to hear about your Dad
Secondly to Izabel - that swine fever sounds like hell
Thirdly to Laura (and everyone) - the surname I am looking into is my maiden name - Jelly. Yes, I used to go through hell at school, Jelly Belly, Jelly Baby.
Someone asked why I use Spanglecat, I used to have two cats, one was called Spangle and he was a real character. However, he had to be put down three years ago so I just have his sister, Sparkle, now.
Well, I had better get cracking and do some shopping now
Speak to you soon
Ann

pee wee

:)Hi All,

Dawn, sorry to hear bout your Dad. My thoughts are with you both. Can be a scary time when a parent is ill. Glad to hear they have caught it early. :-*
Izabel, Must be hard to have to put animals down like that. :'( I don't envy you your job on that score.

Laura the names I am researching at the moment are all in England.

Sanders
Coleman
Tebbutt
Riches

I also look for but not as religiously. They could be from Australia, England,Norway or Scandanavia

Andersen
Pritchard
Maslen
Forbes.

Like you I could keep going but those are the direct links to grandparents etc.

Well better go got to take daughter to basketball.

Take care all
Chat soon

Peta

dawnlea

Hello Everybody ;D
Many thanks to eveyone for the kind words. I've managed to calm down a bit now. Dad is just going about business as usual. He says that he's not going to let it stop him from living his life and enjoying himself. He still works (even though he's nearly 63, runs his own business and I keep telling him to slow down a bit!) and he has a very active social life. He has formed a group called Lion Promotions. We do Murder Mystery nights in hotels and at holiday camps. It's all good fun. I suppose you can all imagine me as a bit of a drama queen, can't you?!? We all dress up according to our character and do a little 'play' to set the scene then we go off into the audience to be grilled - so to speak!! Just wish sometimes that I had Dad's energy (and outlook - one of the pitfalls of being the nurse in the family. Everybody seems to turn to you in times of trouble. It happened when my grandfather died. I was a wreck - nobody seemed to realise that I needed support as well) Anyway, I digress. It's good to be back - more insane than ever. You guys don't realise what an outlet for emotions and stuff you are. Love you all. :-*

Whilst we are on the subject (which we weren't!!), I am lookin for the following surnames:

Lea
Crouch
Cousin(s)
Stretch
Parish
Delph
Smith (there must be one in every tree!!)
Lythell
Walker
Markley
May
Adkins
Cranwell
Downham
Binson

These are all on my father's side of the family and are from the Chatteris and Wisbech areas of Cambridgeshire and from Calne in Wiltshire (Lea). I haven't even started on my mother's family tree yet. Hence the only surnames I have from her side are Granger and Moffett - her parents. HELP!!!

pee wee

Hi Dawn,

Good to hear your dad has such a great outlook. He sounds like an amazing man. ;D The murder mystery nights sound like fun. :2fun: My sister-in-law has a business here supplying costumes for the characters in the "How to Host A Murder" games. Well she started out as that and progressed to costumes for everything, to formal hire for senior school balls, to wedding hire & she does the original costume side of things still. It's quite an ecclectic shop & quite a nutty place to spend some time. >:D

Glad you can vent to us. Sometimes it's all you need to pick up your spirits again. I have been through a similar thing with my dad. Could have used a site like this then, but wasn't on line at that time. :mad:

Youv'e got a lot of names to your fathers side. I haven't got to my G,G,Grands yet, but I'm working on it slowly. I have 4 trees on the go at the moment with a 5th just starting. When I get a run on something I can't let it go till I've gone as far as I can. Hence the 5th tree. Found my dad's mum's family :) I got so excited I stayed up to 2am working on it. ::) Suffered the next day though.

Well must fly. Take care of yourself as well as your dad. Thinking of you.

Peta

dawnlea

Dear Peta,

Thanks again for your thoughts. Dad is quite amazing, but then I guess that all daughters think that of their dad, don't they? Sounds like I could do with a visit to your sister's shop! You're in Australia, aren't you? Ah, slight problem then!! Know what you mean about staying up to get that connection or just one more generation!! Been there, done that, got the bags to prove it!!

Speak to you soon!

izabel

Staff member
Hi everyone - Im so jealous with you two and your murder mysteries parties. The only murder mystery Im likely to see is on the evening news. Dawn glad to hear your dad is ok - he sounds amazing. We are definatley going to have to work on how we are going to get together for one of these murder mysteries - the 8th wonder of the world i should think - cross fingers we all win the lotto. chat soon - Iz

spanglecat

Hi
Those murder mysteries sound like fun, will have to think about that one of these days - the holiday I mean, not a murder!! Although some people that I have met I could have slaughtered. Anyway, I have taken over as the county co-ordinator for the Dorset page of Rootsweb - www.rootsweb.com/~engdor if anyone wants to take a peep. There is a link to this site - I did ask before I went ahead. Anyone with any ideas please get in touch.
Just going back to the subject of murder, a friend of a friend is tracing her family history and has found out that a relative was murdered. I don't know which would be worse to find out, being murdered or being the murderer. :2fun:
Must go, getting hungry now
Ann

pee wee

Hi everyone, :)

I haven't done a murder mystery in ages. Miss it sometimes as they were a hoot. Don't seem to get the time these days. :'( Sis- in - law spends all her time catering for everyone else's parties now. It's still a giggle helping others pick their costumes when I get into the shop to help out. :2fun:
Roll on the lotto. Got a big one on this weekend 21 mill, Wow to win that!!!! almost too much. :p Hey a girls got to dream doesn't she. ::)
Hubby cooked his engine the other night. Don't want to know what that will take to fix.
Take care all

pee wee

Hi all :)

Well what has everyone been up to lately?
Got Hubby's car back yesterday. The pain in the back pocket wasn't as bad as predicted, but was bad enough. The cylinder heads had to be machined ( he has 2 in his car). We were expecting to have to replace them. :confused:
Daughter in kitchen at the moment making coconut tarts. She is becoming quite the little cook. She made hot cross buns the other day. Didn't turn out too bad. ;D
Going on a family picnic & mangrove tour on sunday. weather predicted to be fine about 23c. Should be a pleasant day. Must remember the bug repellant, area is known for mozzies. There is a big playground there as well so the kids will be happy. :2fun:
Hope your dads well Dawn & that everyone else is hale & hearty.

Take care all
cheers

spanglecat

Hi everyone :)
Well, the highlight of my weekend - I have had a new bed delivered and it is so high I feel as though I am at the top of Everest. It is about 3' off the ground and I am only 5'. so you can get the picture. My cat is already using the corner as a scratching post!!
Nothing much doing here in Birmingham, the sun came out briefly and has disappeared again.
Will do a bit of gardening over the weekend, if I can raise the enthusiasm. ;D
Hope everyone has a good weekend
Ann

dawnlea

Hi everyone!!

What can I say? Life is continuing as if nothing has happened - good job too! Will ask Dad if he can write an online murder mystery for us - don't know how (or if) he will be able to do it but Dad's a clever old stick, so who knows!! Weather here in (not so) sunny Cambs is dire. Very overcast but warm - muggy almost. That's the thing with us Brits. When it raining, we complain. When it's hot, we complain!! Had my little boy for a week last week. It was really nice to spend some quality time with him. We went to Legoland on Weds. It cost me £42 for the two of us to get in and it was packed!! Very tetchy by the time we left but it's Callum's favourite place on earth so was a small price to pay. Hope everyone got lots of easter eggs.

Speak to you all soon

pee wee

Hi All :)

Dawn an online murder mystery, what a great idea. Like you don't know how he would do it, but wouldn't it be fun :2fun: Haven't seen a lego land in years. Used to go all the time when the kids were little. We used to have a shop just for lego but that seems to have gone now.

I'm 5' as well Ann. Know what it's like to have to climb up to things. We have a water bed. If I sit on the side I have to roll out as my feet don't touch the floor & my bottoms lower than my knees. :'( Used to be funny when I was pregnant, had to get hubby to help then. :2fun:
Went on our picnic. Lovely day and not many mozzies, luckilly. Visited the mangroves, tram museum & played on the play ground. All big kids at heart.

Take care all. Catch you later.

Peta

BRL

Hello.
Mind your own business, I am not going to tell you how old I am! We live in Western Australia - but I hate the heat - and though my husband is nearly blind he plays golf once a week and we have contacts with blind golfers throughout the world. We have 5 children (ages unknown)and grandchildren I will acknowledge when I am 90.
This has become an obsession. My husband is complaining that I am always on 'the bloody computer' but I don't care. When I come across something that interests me, I often imagine what life was like for them and sometimes it is rather daunting the things they had to put up with. I have noticed that they rarely seem to have left the county/district they were born in . I suppose because travelling was not the luxury we enjoy today.
Anyway, I am so glad I stumbled across this site.
Rae

godsy

:)
Hello Everyone

I'm Keith,29
Currently living in Southern Spain but will be moving back to the U.K. soon for a couple of years and then eventually Emigrating to Australia :)
I've been researching my family tree for about 5 years now.
Currently researching my Grandmothers side of the family(Waite) (only just started).
Have already done my Grandfathers side (Goddard) but am now stuck in 1802

All my Goddards and Waites are around the Lambeth area of London,i started researching my family tree as my Dad etc knew very little about my grandads side and it's turnt into an obsession now,and i really enjoy it. :)

Hope to get to know you all through this Excellent forum.

See ya around
Keith Goddard

pee wee

:)Hi Rae & Keith,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm in Australia as well Rae. Sth Australia. Don't like the heat much myself. :redface:
It's interesting to learn of others research. I've had quite a few times when I have found things in archives that pertain to family members & then have the task of trying to make sense of what I have been told from the family story tellers & what I read on paper. They don't always match up. :confused:

My dad was like yours Keith. Didn't know much about his family my parents didn't really talk of family unless asked. of course we never really asked either. :redface:

Well keep on popping back wont you. Everyone is really great to talk to & a great help.

Cheers

izabel

Staff member
He guys - nice to see some new members - welcome. Still doing the swine fever thing and I must admit Im getting tired now - lot of travelling. Hows everyone else. Still wainting for the online murder mystery - have been practising the Agatha Christie role. Dawn hows your dad doing. Peta - hows the karate kid.

Caht soon
Iz