• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Lets have fun

pee wee

Hi Carlo

I wish we could get a mid 20. I'm sitting in the "breeze way", where we have the never lie machine, and its still in the upper 20s.
We are starting to head up again later in the week expecting 27 tomorrow:)

How terrible for those poor souls in Vic with their bush fires. Hope the wind changes for them soon.
My sisters live in Wodonga Vic. Not close enough to be in danger from the fires , but close enough to get all the smoke. Apparently a lot of the fires are in inaccessable country.:(

Is it true that if you do eat a galah you screech and fall of your seat.
Well I haven't heard that one, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people I know:2fun:

Take care

c.daniel

Hello Peta. NO!My galah scream's when other galah's, or any other birds fly past.He calls the dog for help,I don't think he know's he is a bird. He talk's to everyone, even on the phone. I think I spoiled him. Did your sister in law join the Coeliac Society? If she hasn't, she should because every three months they send you a magazine. It has a some good recipes in them. When you fist join, they send you a free recipe book. They did when I first joined 3yrs ago. Some times in the thats life mag. there are gluton free recipes as well.
The bush fires are bad in Victoria, now in Perth and Tasmania.there is nothing worse than being surrounded by fires, I know, I live near the bush,It is so dry, we often go for a walk through it, to check it out, lots of snakes up there too.
Christine.

pee wee

He calls the dog for help,I don't think he know's he is a bird. He talk's to everyone, even on the phone. I think I spoiled him.
Don't you just love parrot type birds. Our cockatiel is a foundling. He has some words & is a real character. He likes to hang upside down on the side of his cage & flap. Then my daughter gives him a pat or a sunflower seed. Strange thing is that when I found him he came to my hand willingly. Since I put him into a cage he wont come to the hand but he will let us pat his head.

Did your sister in law join the Coeliac Society?
Don't know if she has joined the coeliac Society or not. But I will pass the info on. Do they have a web site?
Some times in the thats life mag. there are gluton free recipes as well.
I've seen some of those. The Super Foods magazine sometimes has gluten free recipes as well. There are also a series of 4 recipe books called "Symply too good to be true". They are modified recipes for dieters but I think some of them would be fine for you.

Hi Folks,
Just joined this forum a couple of days ago, so been taking my time going through it. I am a 48 year old artic driver,( long hours ,short wages ), i'm the guy that takes up 2 lanes to go round a roundabout, pulls over too the right too turn left and, trys to overtake other lorries on hills. I bet you just love that, so i'll say sorry now, before you give me the middle finger.
I've been looking at the recipes and they sound good, got one of my own i'll need to dig out, Haggis,Chicken & a touch of Drambuie, but you'll need to wait for the haggis season.
Got a 25 year old daughter thats a nurse still at home, any tips on getting her to get her own pad. So the kilt is away till next year it's back too work on Monday ! YUK

Cheers Iain

pee wee

welcome Iain,

i'm the guy that takes up 2 lanes to go round a roundabout, pulls over too the right too turn left and, trys to overtake other lorries on hills.
Plenty of those here. So your not alone. I usually get well out of the way & let you all do your thing.

Haggis,Chicken & a touch of Drambuie, but you'll need to wait for the haggis season

Never had Haggis. Whens the Haggis season?
Don't know how you can get you daughter out of home. A friend of mine signed his son up for his own unit. Or you could do like I did & annoy the hell out of them till they move. lol:2fun:

Am I seeing right, your surname is Sanders.? That is my maiden name. I live in Australia now, But originally came from Northampton UK. I haven't managed to get back further than my gg grand father Robert Sanders who was from Rothwell.

Hope to hear from you again..

Hi Peta,
Surname is Sanders and, got my gg grandfather back to the Nottingham Area in 1830, then i've hit so many brick walls. Won't give up though he's out there somewhere.
Re my daughter leaving home i've tried leaving property guides about the house but no luck. She's talking about coming too Australia. She is a nurse so there is work over there ( so she says ).
Just joking about the haggis season, it's a Scottish dish made from the inside of a sheep ( heart,lungs,liver chopped, mixed with oatmeal,suet and onions).If you get a chance you must try it , can be spicey.
Just going too pour a small whisky now.

Iain

pee wee

Hi Iain,

Brick walls are a speciality of genealogists. It's a mirical we don't all have permanent bruises on our foreheads. ;)

There are lots of jobs here for nurses if your daughter is looking to come out. There is always a shortage. The heat can be a bit rough at times. I've been here all my life & still have problems with it. (Thank you air conditioning):2fun:

Haggis sounds interesting, though I have never heard of it being available here. Maybe in a scotish pub? There are some around. Spicey doesn't bother me, prob would need to be highly spiced to cover the strong taste of the meats. & a couple of glasses of alcohol would help it as well.

Well must go. It's quite late here.
Catch you again.

izabel

Staff member
Hi guys happy new year to you all. We had a quiet one with the troops, Must admit cant wait to have christmas in my own home again. Welcome to all the new chatters - how cool. Gosh I havent had haggis for years and black pudding. Mouths watering. Off to do dreaded paper work - hate filing. Chat soon and look forward to new recipes

Iz

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Iz,

Great to hear from you. All the best for 2007:)

Haggis,Chicken & a touch of Drambuie, but you'll need to wait for the haggis season
Great one iain! I remember eating my first proper haggis (& neaps) at Aviemore in the highlands of Scotland. I don' know if I ate too much, but I was bloated terrible - could not even drink any more lager after that! :)

Cheers (I will have a drambuie!!)

Hi Izabel,
If you remember Haggis & Black Pudding what about, White pudding, Stovies & my granny's favorite recipe Cloutie Dumpling,where the ingredients were boiled in a large linen pillow case or sheet & placed in a huge pot, lovely with custard.
Give me grans cooking anyday.
Iain

pee wee

Hi Iz, haven't seen you for ages. Hope your xmas & new year were good.

Iain, a cloutie dumpling. That brings back memories. Only ever tried it once, a friend of my mums made one when I was a little tacker. Would love the recipe if you can get it.

Don't know bout the rusty nail in a drink. Give me a warm spiced mead on a cold night. Yum!! extremely morish.:p

Well we're heading for another hot day tomorrow. Luckilly it's only one day.

Catch you all later

Hi Folks,
It's now Saturday night, just poured a large Drambuie & Whisky with lots of ice, listening too some good music. Chilling out after a long stressfull week.
Anyone got any tips for combating a hard week, suggestions welcome .
No luck with the lottery, so back too work 6am Monday.

Cheers Iain

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
You and me both Iain! As it says in the lotto - "You have to be in it to win it" Well I am never in it! So I wont win - the odds are too bad! :)

Suggestions: Mad dash home on a Friday evening (when I say dash I mean 2 hours to get 44 miles!), get home to find no one in, all the lights out (dark here at 3-45pm - please note the lovely people from the southern hemisphere where its Summer :):)).

Dogs happy to see me thankfully, but wants walking. :)
Takes me about 1 hour to calm down, so its now 8pm. Strip and have a lovely soak in a hot bath, reading Net magazine.

Then into the lounge with a brandy. Wife then comes home and beats me up for not doing the dishes (what are not mine!!).

Funny thing is I am not bothered by then - the brandy has made me all warm .....or is it well chilled. Thanks God I am not at work this Saturday!
Well thats my Friday - Saturday is similar - then back to work somewhere in England, Scotland or even Wales.

Same problem on Friday Dave,in an hour before the wife, made her a nice 'long vodka' no joy. It's nice to know that it was my fault that
1, The gas board had the road dug up, no gas to start the meal.
2, The gale force winds had blew the bl--dy fence down.
3, MY Daughter (not ours ) had taken the car & not put petrol in it.
4, Cash dispenser at the bank was out of order.:'(

Cheers Iain

Hi Peta,

Got the recipe for 'Clootie Dumpling', if i can read it.

4oz shredded suet or margarine
8oz flour
4oz oatmeal 3oz sugar
1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder
8oz mixed currants/sultanas/chopped raisins
1 or 1 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon & mixed spice ( mutmeg oo ground ginger)
1 teaspoon of golden syrup
2eggs beaten
3/4 tablespoons of buttermilk.
Some people add 3 or 4 oz breadcrumbs as well.

Sift the flour and rub in suet or marg. in large mixing bowl add all the other dry ingredients. Add a hole in centre and add the syrup and eggs and mix well. Add buttermilk to make a soft but firm batter. Coins can be added at xmas.
Now the choice of container,
Traditional way is too use a cloth dipped in boiling water then dusted with flour before adding the mix.Tie the top leaving room for expansion, place a saucer or plate in the bottom of a saucepan and stand the dumpling on top. Cover with boiling water and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours allways topping up with water. Remove from pan and cloth and put in a warm oven for 20 mins.
You can also use a pudding steamer lightly greased with melted butter,allow 1 inch from top for expansion.
Can be served hot or cold with custard or cream.
''Clootie'' comes from the Clout or cloth in which it was traditionally boiled.

Iain:)