• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Linville Ceffers Stacey 1878 Family

I have been trying to locate the ancestors to Linville Ceffers Stacey 29 Mar 1878 -21 May 1952. I have a 1898 petty larceny reformatory record in Southern Indiana that states his deceased parents names are Jno and Mary and sister Mary Buchanan. The US 1910, 1920, 1930 census state he was born in England (as where his parents), and he was naturalized in 1888. His birthplace is changed to Kentucky for the 1940 census, 1942 WW2 Draft Card and his 1952 death certificate. I have tried locating the parents and sister. I would assume the sister to be older with her last name Buchanan. Lynn was 17 when incarcerated and listed as in fair condition and had a 4th grade education at the time and working as a shoemaker. I am sure he was barely surviving, he was a very big man by today's standard's almost 7 foot tall. Later there were rumors in the family that he was a rum runner for Al Capone during prohibition from Chicago to Indianapolis. I have yet to prove anything other than farming. I appreciate any help in advance!

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
The 1920
US census states he was born in Kentucky but his parents were born in England:

Name: Lenville C Stacey
[Lenville L Stacey] Age: 40Birth Year: abt 1880Birthplace: KentuckyHome in 1920: Washington, Brown, IndianaStreet: Sick Creek RoadHouse Number: FarmResidence Date: 1920Race: WhiteGender: MaleRelation to Head of House: HeadMarital Status: MarriedSpouse's Name: Cordelia A StaceyFather's Birthplace: EnglandMother's Birthplace: EnglandAble to Speak English: YesOccupation: Farmer

Amanda

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Lenville C StaceyEvent TypeCensusEvent Date1920Event PlaceWashington, Brown, Indiana, United StatesGenderMaleAge40Marital StatusMarriedRaceWhiteRaceWhiteRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadBirth Year (Estimated)1880BirthplaceKentuckyFather's BirthplaceEnglandMother's BirthplaceEnglandSheet LetterASheet Number9

Hard finding him on a Census

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Len C StacyEvent TypeCensusEvent Date1910Event PlaceWashington, Brown, Indiana, United StatesGenderMaleAge30Marital StatusMarriedRaceWhiteRaceWhiteRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadBirth Year (Estimated)1880BirthplaceEnglandImmigration Year1888Father's BirthplaceEnglandMother's BirthplaceEnglandSheet LetterBSheet Number4

Linville Ceffers StacyDraft Registration1917-1918Brown County, Indiana, United StatesMaleUnited States29 Mar 1879, Indiana, United State
Not Fit for Military
Yes it states he was not fit for service in WW1. I have spoke to a local genealogist about that and he had one theory. If he was born in England and not naturalized then they would not let him join. I have been to Brown County Historical where there are several books written on the Brummett family that Lynville married into and have another theory. The Brummetts hated the law, taxes and the railroad and fought all coming in from the big city of Indianapolis. The County Clerk that signed his draft card was his wife Cordelia's uncle Chris Brummet who fought the hardest to keep the law, taxes and railroad out of the county. He was eventually thrown in debter's prison. I assume he marked him unfit to keep him off the battlefield to help take care of his niece and her 5 children. Again there may be a reason none of the documents make sense. I have tried following Mary Buchanan and Jno and Mary Stacey. I would assume those three were born in England and know that Jno and Mary died prior to 1898 but have no other info. I will post his PL charge with that info. Thanks for your help!

Lynville was again almost 7 foot tall and very stocky in the early 1900's so to be marked unfit for service is odd to say the least. He was rumored to be a rum runner from Chicago to Indianapolis when he lived in White County between them for Al Capone. I have not found the evidence at this time but have not visited the county yet just Brown County.

Attachments

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
It states his father was born in England, that does not follow that Lynville was born in England. All the Census states his Father was English. Lynville seems to be born in US.
I agree with Ellie, the fact that noone with that name was registered in England in 1878, means he was probably born somewhere else. The records are just not there.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Lenville StacyEvent TypeCensusEvent Date1930Event PlaceWest Point, White, Indiana, United StatesGenderMaleAge51Marital StatusMarriedRaceWhiteRaceWhiteRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadBirth Year (Estimated)1879BirthplaceEnglandImmigration Year1879Father's BirthplaceEnglandMother's BirthplaceEnglandSheet LetterBSheet Number6
This where you got born in England from.People that have not had much schooling should be searched for in the earliest Census ,and take that has where born. He has remembered England ,but it was his Father born England.
You said you had his immigration record .Can you post it please.

Hi, I believe your Linville Ceffers Stacy was born illegitimate as Linville Ceffers Combs 29 Mar 1877 in Breathitt County, KY to Diance Combs (1854-1929) & William Barlow Stacy (1853-1919). William Barlow Stacy was married at the time to Sarah Ann Ritchie (1858-1950). The reason you can't find to many records about him, is probably because he didn't want anybody to know his back story. Please read the newspaper article I attached. It's a sad story. If it's the same person, which I am personally convinced that it is, he nor his biological parents have nothing to do with England. His mother Diance (d/o William Benton Combs & Susannah Campbell) had 8 children by at least four different men, three I believe are documented.

Attachments