• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Living near county borders.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I find ancestor who lived near county borders quite interesting as often I have found some of the family from the county they were living near.

I have ancestors who lived in West Essex about 7 miles from Herts and have just found a lot of them did originate in Herts.

Same with the Musgrave and Sewell families who seems to flit between North Yorkshire and Durham.

And ancestors from Oxfordshire who originated in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Not sure I find it interesting more frustrating. I have lots of people who lived on county boundaries, even a couple that can't work out if they are English or Welsh. My own brother was born in Lancashire but now he is born in Cumbria because the county boundary changed. He's changed his surname now so that will really confuse future researchers.

Hi
I reckon a lot of the 'movements' are down to boundary changes. Middlesborough and the surrounding area used to be in North Yorkshire, then Durham then Teeside.
People in North lincolnshire and East Yorkshire became Humbersiders. That didn't last too long as the proud Yorkshiremen and women, me included, didn't like the idea that we were no longer Yorkshirmen and got the changes reversed. We now have our birthplace of East Yorkshire back on the map where it belongs.

You wouldn't guess I'm from Yorkshire would you!!
dave

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think the Essex and Herts border has remained the same mainly but I do agree about Yorkshire, Durham and Cumbria. Cleveland was a short existence county from 1974 to about 1996.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My Taylor family originated in Barkway, Hertfordshire and moved to Saffron Walden in 1773 thanks to a settlement certificate on the SEAX site.