• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

London Baptism

ral91

Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I've made a thread about this lady before and she is proving to be difficult. I received her death certificate this morning and have been doing some searching but have not come up with anything. I'm trying to find a baptism for her as I have now narrowed down her birth year. These are the details I have of her -

Charlotte Spencer
b. London, 1807

married. 1827 Piccadilly, Westminster (I think this might be where she was born, as someone suggested that brides usually get married in their home area, as opposed to Bethnal Green where the married couple lived afterwards)

d. 7 Dec 1846, Bethnal Green, London.

That's all I have at the moment, and am having trouble finding a baptism as I don't know parents or siblings.

Thanks for any help, it would be much appreciated.

Ryan

ral91

Valued Member
I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning, but the closest I came to her is this:

Charlotte Spencer
Baptism Date: 13 Mar 1808
Parish: St Leonard Shoreditch
County: Middlesex
Borough: Hackney
Parent(s): Thomas Spencer,
Mary Spencer

I have no way of validating if it's her or not, plus it dispels my theory on the place of marriage, although I'm not sure how accurate that was in the first place.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking at the marriage entry, there appears to be a Spencer as a witness. Have you researched him/her.
Sorry, but my eyesight(even with glasses), cannot make out the witnesses first name.

Hannah Spencer's surname was transcribed as SPOTTS, for the benefit of anyone esle looking.

Steve.:)

ral91

Valued Member
Looking at the marriage entry, there appears to be a Spencer as a witness. Have you researched him/her.
Sorry, but my eyesight(even with glasses), cannot make out the witnesses first name.

Hannah Spencer's surname was transcribed as SPOTTS, for the benefit of anyone esle looking.

I saw that witness, too, but cannot work it out either. To me, it looks a bit like 'Sue' or 'Joe' but it's just not legible.

I haven't researched them as I cannot make out the name.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I saw that witness, too, but cannot work it out either. To me, it looks a bit like 'Sue' or 'Joe' but it's just not legible.

I haven't researched them as I cannot make out the name.
I think it maybe Jno, short for John or Jonathon. I would go for Jonathon, as John is only 1 letter longer.

You'll have to scratch about mate.:)

ral91

Valued Member
Steve, just a quick question: If I were to order a marriage cert for Charlotte, would there be much more info on it than what we can see of the entry of the marriage?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve, just a quick question: If I were to order a marriage cert for Charlotte, would there be much more info on it than what we can see of the entry of the marriage?
I doubt if you can order a cert, as it was before 1837. When registry was 'compulsory'.

Maybe if you can see the original at the London Met archives, you may get a clearer image.

ral91

Valued Member
I think the details I posted earlier could well be her. Her death cert says she was 39 in December 1846, and according to the entry I posted earlier she'd have been a few months short of 39. Her age is subject to change, as the cert is a bit more accurate, and would mean she was born in 1807/8 but the 1841 Census lists her as 30, meaning 1811.

Also, she is listed as being born "in county" (B.G) in the 1841 Census, and the baptism says Shoreditch, which is more or less Bethnal Green to my knowledge.

I suppose I'm looking for confirmation, do you think this sounds like it hangs together?

Ryan

ral91

Valued Member
All sounds perfectly feasible Ryan, but you need to confim it first hand if possible.

Nothing like looking at the originals to do that.:)

Well, I can see pictures of the original documents, does that count? :)

Just hope I've got the right people, it's always at the back of my mind that I haven't.