• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Look up please

sibel

Would anyone be kind enough to see if Catherine Mary Estella Leipold born abt 1888 and in the 1911 census at an institution in Low Leyton, Leytonstone, Essex was there as an inmate?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Nancy.

Catherine Mary Estella Leipold

Hi-

I have a little bit of info on Catherine Leipold that may interest you. I was hoping you could help me with where and when she died. I assume she must have remarried.

Mike

hi Mike

You will probably know SIBEL has not been on line for a while but this may be of use

I do not know why you say you assume she must have remarried. As far as I can see she only married once. Funnily this was 6 years before she appears on the 1911 census as a single woman, under her maiden name. Was this because she was afraid of losing her post as probationary nurse if she said she was married. I can't find her husband so far in 1911, so maybe he was away in the forces, but I'll keep looking.

Catherine Estella Mary Leipold born j/m 1888 Edmondon 3a 249

details of the marriage

31 Jan 1905 at St Barnabas, Hornsea Road, Islington, Wesley Sidney James Russell aged 18 to Catherine Mary Estella Leipold aged 17, address at the time 42 Citizen Road, Islington.
Father of Wesley - Sidney Russell Commercial Agent
Father of Catherine - John Henry Leipold, Prof. of music, deceased
witnesses - Leo Leipold and Selina Emily russell (sister in law)
ref Mar qtr 1905 Islington 1b 276

Catherine M E Russell died Sep qtr 1946 Islington 5c 766

Hope this helps
dave

There is a tree on line which confirms all the info on my last post except the death of Catherine.

It suggests that Wesley was a ships steward, so this could explain why he's not arround in 1911. It also says he married again in Australia in 1924 to Kathleen Mary Byrnes. He died 1954 in Aus

It also suggests Catherine spelt Katherine went to USA in 1914 aged 28 a nurse but still single. She was born somewhere in London, the exact place not readable. I would not like to say the K in Katherine was infact a K, but it does not look like a C, also the age is out by a couple of years

One explanation why she still said she was single, may be because Wesley had deserted her and gone to Australia.

If the shipping record is her then she may have just been visiting as she appeared to die in the UK

dave

Hi Dave,

Catherine was a survivor of the Lusitania sinking. I had previously seen the Russell marriage info. But the age is way off for the 1940s death. There was a marriage for another Catherine ME Russell to a Millward but can't seem to find anything after that. I'm not saying that is her, but the reason she disappears tells me she might have remarried again. Perhaps in the US. Hard to say.

Mike

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
NSW marriage 9283/1924 RUSSELL WESLEY S - BYRNES KATHLEEN M - SYDNEY

NSW death 30162/1954 RUSSELL WESLEY SIDNEY J - SYDNEY 68 YEARS - PRINCE HENRY H - Registered at REDFERN

RUSSELL Wesley (Sid) Death notice 25NOV1954 Death Sydney Morning Herald 26NOV1954

The Sydney Morning Herald - Friday 26 November 1954 p.22
DEATHS
RUSSELL Wesley (Sid).-November 25, 1954, at Prince Henry Hospital, dearly loved and devoted husband of Kathleen and loving father of Boyd. At rest.

FUNERALS
RUSSELL.-The Relatives and Friends of Kathleen and Boyd Russell, John Rose, Mr. and Mrs. Coveney, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy and Family, Mr. and Mrs. W. Campbell, Mrs. Augustine and Family are invited to attend the Funeral of their dearly loved Husband, Father and Brother-in-law, WESLEY (Sid), to leave Charles Kinsela's Parlours, Taylor Square, Darlinghurst, This Day, alter service at 2.15 p.m. for Church of England Cemetery, Botany.

Wesley Sidney James Russell gender 1930 New South Wales South Sydney
Wesley Sidney James Russell gender 1936 New South Wales Watson
Wesley Sidney James Russell gender 1937 New South Wales Watson
Wesley Sidney James Russell gender 1943 New South Wales Watson
Wesley Sidney James Russell gender 1949 New South Wales Watson

Last edited: