• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Looking after convicts

marjon

Posted a message on Occupations but no looks! Thought I'd try here. I have a policeman sailing from London who was in charge of the convicts circa 1840 - name of ship unknown. His name was MINCHINTON. Ship sailed to Tassie - apparently he stayed there but how can I find which ship he was on? Would he be classed as a "passenger" or part of the "crew" ? Any help would be greatly appreciatied. I have looked at various convict websites but nothing comes up. Cheers :'(

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hello me dear
Don't know if this is of much help.
If you go to Mormons site & click on All Resources, there are lots of your family name in Australia.
Not sure though they are related to you but makes interesting reading.
All the best

ozn

gibbo

Loyal Member
I cant find a thing on him:confused: The earliest mention of the Minchinton name in the newspapers in Australia is 1860 and the earliest mention of that name i can find in the Tasmanian papers is 1910. I couldnt find him in the Tasmanian state archives neither. A real mystery man.
Maybe try emailing the archives and see if they can help.

http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/

gibbo

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Lots of the guards on convict ships were often RN Marines, sometimes a single marine. If they didn't stay in Australia there is virtually no way for finding the names of those individuals. For those who did stay and for soldiers from the Army Regiments of Foot who arrived on convict vessels and who also stayed there are a few already named. Others are yet to be added to the database which is a work in progress.

I can find no reference yet to the name MINCHINTON in relation to a convict vessel. I do not know if the name exists in the records or not.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/tobegin.htm

There are very few convict vessels with a full list of the convicts on board and even fewer vessels with a list of the crew and RN & Army servicemen on board. The 'Transportation Database' is incomplete and contains errors.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: