• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

looking for another marriage

davej

From
Wales
:mad: i have found the marriage of henry jenkins b1845 in blaenavon.monmouthshire and his wife sarah b1850 in blaenavon. on the 1881 census RG11.PIECE 5238/50.PAGE 13.on the census there is a thos nayers (stepson) can any body find out if sarah was married before she married henry?.also there is a jas jenkins is jas short for any other name.can anyone help please.dave

Hi,
First of all Jas is short for James.

I have had a look for a marriage for Henry and Sarah but cannot pin one down. The only one to take place in the registration district for Blaenaovn, which is Abergavenny, is in 1877 between a Henry Jenkins and a Sarah Rogers but that is well after the children have been born. I cannot find a marriage between a Henry Jenkins and a Sarah Nayers either.

What does strike me as odd is that the so called step son is younger than their first born son by three years. That just does not make sense. I think you would need to see the original image of the Census page just in case there has been a mistranscription.

Sorry not to have been of more help,
Emeltee

Since Henry Jenkins son, Jas. (short for James) Jenkins, was aged 13 at the time of the 1881 census, and his step-son Thos. Nayers aged 10, it would appear that both Henry and Sarah had been previously married. There is a 3 year old daughter, Phoebe. Perhaps Henry and Sarah were married shortly before her birth. Try looking for marriages around 1877, the same time as the marriage that you found for Henry Jenkins and a Sarah Rogers. According to the census, all members of the household were born in Balenavon, so it seems likely that the marriage would have occurred in the same area. There are many possibilities: There may have been multiple previous marriages on either Sarah or Henry’s part, or both; Thomas Nayers may have been the son of Henry’s first wife’s previous marriage or from Sarah’s first marriage; Rogers could be Sarah’s maiden name or a married name; … I see the next residence, at 9 Stattford Row, is headed by another Henry Jenkins, aged 66, also an engine driver. Keep in mind that census takers, being human, sometimes made spelling errors and rounded off ages. Information was sometimes provided my others than the head of household.

Henry Jenkins in census records:
JENKINS HENRY b. 1841 — 1841 Upper Llanover, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
JENKINS HENRY b. 1841 — 1851 Llanover Upper, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
JENKINS HENRY b. 1844 — 1861 Llanover Upper, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
JENKINS HENRY 1816 — 1871 Upper Llanover, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
JENKINS HENRY b. 1845 — 1881 Llanover, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
JENKINS HENRY b. 1845 — 1901 Blaenavon, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire,
JENKINS HENRY b. 1845 — 1911 Blaenavon, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

A Sarah Rogers, born in about 1850, lived in the same area as Henry Jenkins:
ROGERS SARAH 1850 — 1851 Llanover Upper, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
ROGERS SARAH 1850 — 1861 Llanover Upper, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
ROGERS SARAH 1849 — 1871 Upper Llanover, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
ROGERS SARAH 1848 — 1871 Llanwenarth Ultra, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, ...
This is not the same Sarah Rogers as in the other 1871 household above.

Post #3 is just about there, but it looks to be a complicated family, so in answer to the question, no I don't think she was married before. The 1871 census appears to show why...

Elizabeth Davids
[Elizabeth Dando]
[Elizabeth Rogers]
Born abt 1842 Blaenavon, Monmouthshire
Mother's Name: Phebe Rogers

Civil Parish: Llanover Upper
Ecclesiastical parish: Blaenavon
Town: Blaenavon
County: Monmouthshire
RD: Abergavenny
Sub-RD: Blaenavon
ED: 6
RG10; Piece: 5312; Folio: 71; Page: 11

Elizabeth Davids 29
William Davids 6
Catherine Davids 11
Richard Davids 2
Phebe Rogers 60
Phebe Rogers 10
Sarah Rogers 22 [unm, Llanover Upper]
Thomas Rogers 3 Months

Because she was unmarried in 1871 and Thomas was 3 months old, her marriage to Henry in 1877 as Rogers appears to be her only marriage at that point. Sarah's mother is Phoebe. The name Nayers is probably wrongly transcribed.

Geoff

Geoff.thanks very much for your info as you said it is a complicated family very difficult to trace the correct line.once again many thanks.dave

Back