• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

looking for elusive ancestors

AthenaLou

looking for info on these people below, this is all the info i have:

Charles Henry Rankin (aged 24 on marriage cert)
marriage to Ellen Lowe (ages 21 on marriage cert, i have lots of info on Ellen) 12 Oct 1901 at St Lukes Church, Parish of Victoria Docks, West ham

Charles living at 12 Fife Rd, Ellen living at 26 Nelson Street.

Father of Charles is Edward Rankin, salesman.

cannot find birth or death of Charles, searched England and Scotland for info found nothing

next person:

Edward Middleton (aged 20 on marriage cert)
marriage to Mary Jane Barham (aged 19 on marriage cert, i have lots of info on the Barham's)
marriage 14 June 1886 parish church, St Mary, Stratford, Bow. Groom and Bride both living at 3 Edgar Rd.

Father of Edward is also Edward (deceased) Glazier.

one possible birth i have found for Edward Jnr, im not sure about. On 1 census return he is listed as being born in Kings X and another says Notting Hill. So the birth entry i have found im not sure about. I cannot find any info on Edwards father either.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Anthealou,

They are elusive,

The Edward Middleton birth was it the one in Kensington 1866, in 1871 he is age 5 boarder living in the civil parish of Lambeth, cant find him in 1881, but on the either 1891 or 1901 there is a Edward Middleton born abt 1866 Chelsea, so he may be that one as Chelsea and Kensington near each other,
though there are other Middletons in Chelsea.

Rankin is proving just as elusive, could they have come from Ireland?

AthenaLou

there is always a possibility altho family talk says Scotland Charles's wife and her family are from Liverpool toxteth park area

do u remember a while back, when i first started using these boards u found the birth entry for my paternal grandmother Mary Louisa Austin what had thrown me completely was that she had told us she was born in 1900 and it turned out it was 1902 she had also dropped one of her names and it was actually Mary Ann Louisa well i managed to eventually find her marriage cert to my grandad and ordered it on the marriage cert it said her fathers name was Frederick and he was deceased when i started digging some more i couldn't find anything that was relevent so i sent for my nan's birth cert and yes the fathers name wasn't frederick! but it gave me the right name i then found her parents marriage and sent for that cert and from that i have managed to find one out that nan had at least 2 siblings and yesterday i made conatct with one of my dads cousins i have found about 2 or 3 cousins but they are once removed etc etc this one is a proper cousin

so im finding that some people back then were 'colourfull' with the truth i know there was a story about my grandad jumping ship so maybe this is the reason and i cannot get back further on this grandad other than his name and date of birth there is a family tree on the ancestry site with an exact match to my grandad but its a private tree i tried emailing the owner but they closed off their email as well so if anyone wants to have a look coz im stumped by it

William Robertson Guthrie
5th march 1888
born Scotland

my dad sais he was possibly born in Edinburgh i know he was in the navy coz i have a pic of him in his uniforn somewhere but i think its in the loft and i havent been able to get up there myself think i may try and talk my son into getting up there that may b harder than trying to find my grandad tho!

Ath :)