• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Looking for Emma DOIDGE

brentor boy

Emma Doidge was baptised at Brentor, Devon on 3 April 1859. The family were then living at Whitstone, Brentor. Her twin sister, Helen/Ellen, died after 10 weeks.

On 14 Nov 1885, whilst resident in Bodmin Workhouse, she gave birth to Mary Ellen. Her home address was given as St Winnows, Cornwall. In 1891 and 1901 Mary Ellen was recorded as living with her aunt, Mary Ann Cowling, in whose will she was also mentioned. I assume she was effectively "adopted" by her aunt.

In June 1886 Emma's brother,George, married in St Winnows and three weeks later, together with another brother, John, emigrated to Canada.

I have found a possible match for Emma in 1911, aged 50, living in Lapford, Devon but cannot trace her in 1881, 1891 or 1901 to connect this entry with my Emma. I have considered that she may have gone to stay with her brothers in Canada but can find no record to support this theory. Neither can I identify her possible marriage or death.

Can anyone see something that I am missing?